The Servant (Heba x Reader)

A/N: Heba is the ancient Egyptian version of present day Yuugi. The idea came to me in the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep and I just had to write it. I hope you guys like it. :) Also, look at this amazing character design of Egyptian Yuugi. Isn't it awesome? Please support the artist. Their work is amazing. ( ah-rah.tumblr.com/ )

You stretched your arms above your head, cracking your back and neck. Hunching over a papyrus on the floor for hours at a time really messed with your spine. You looked out the window, seeing the sun was almost completely overhead. Midday worship and meal would be soon. It was a good thing you completed your lessons.

You were considerably someone of importance, being the sibling to Priest Set and Moku. Though you weren't a priestess, you were obviously literate as you were royalty. When you weren't working on your lessons, you spent most of your time with Moku. Sometimes Set joined you two, but that was very rare. Other times you talked with your cousin, Atem. You were close to the pharaoh, perhaps closer than with your own brother. Although he was the pharaoh with many duties, he always had time to talk with you when you needed him. He was a few years older than you and always listened to you, waiting for you to be done speaking before offering you any advice.

After midday meal and worship, you found yourself with nothing to do. Moku unfortunately had lessons that afternoon and you didn't feel like dealing with an annoyed Set. You knew Atem had a meeting with the military general because he was complaining about it to you the other day. He never liked meeting with the general as he apparently 'spoke a lot, but had very little to say.' In other words, he was a rambler and you knew how much Atem detested ramblers. Your cousin liked to get straight to the point and hated wasting time. But as pharaoh, this was his job. You pitied him.

Mana, as it turns out, was also busy. Taking to meandering the halls, you spot the head guard, Jounou. Grinning, you walked up to him. "Hey, Jounou." The head guard turned to you with a smile.

"Oh, hey Y/n. Where are you headed?" You shrugged.

"Nowhere really. Everyone's busy."

"Hm, well that's a shame."

"Yeah, so how have you been?" The head guard sighed and ran his fingers through his hair.

"To be honest, not well." You frowned and leaned against the wall.

"Why? What's going on?"

"Well, I've been having trouble with a number of my guards lately."

"What kind of trouble?"

"They've been mistreating servants." You furrowed your eyebrows.

"Mistreating how badly?" Jounou looked at you with a hopeless expression.

"Very. I recently caught one beating a younger servant for spilling a cup of wine." Your eyes widened in horror.

"That's terrible!" He nodded.

"Unfortunately, there isn't much I can do." You furrowed your eyebrows in confusion.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, it technically is a crime to harm palace servants as they are the property of the king, however it isn't really one that goes punished. There are far worse crimes that take the priority." Anger began to bubble up within you.

"That's horrible! Is Atem aware of this?" Jounou sighed.

"He has more important this to worry about, Y/n." You narrowed your eyes.

"They're still people under our care!"

"Y/n, ever since Egypt was created servants have been mistreated. Do you really think you can suddenly put a stop to it in a day?" Your shoulders sunk in defeat as you looked away. Jounou placed a comforting hand on your shoulder. "It's the way of life." You nodded and bid him farewell, continuing your walk through the palace. As you walked, your thoughts whirled in your mind. Have the palace servants always been treated this way? You felt guilt wash over you. Here you've been, always thinking Egypt was the perfect utopia and the palace the perfect haven for everyone. You felt incredibly disillusioned.