|20| - The End of the Past (E1)

{YOUR POV}

It was easy, to lose track of time. Our days were filled with the construction of our new lives that we never really thought of how many days had passed us by.

An island we had found was our new home, with the ship resting on the horizon line at sea. No flare to scare us, or WICKED to haunt us. Both of them are gone. All that was left was the memories.

And a rock. A big, giant rock.

My fingers trail over the many names carved into the rock. Mostly hovering over the one that meant the most to me. Peter.

The rock, our link to the past stood in front of the campfire. And every night when we would light the fire, it would make the rock shimmer with the small reflective sparkles that disappeared in the daylight. So many names were placed on that rock. So many people we had lost.

I glance down at my left wrist, where the first signs of the flare had been. But now, all I see is normal skin with the slight normal blue vein showing when I move my wrist in a certain way. No sign of the flare coming back. And Brenda, who had been bitten, all she had was the scar on her ankle. We were cured, even if we had checkups with Mary occasionally.

I smile as I hear laughter erupting from behind me, the familiar childish giggles from my daughter and her new best friend.

As I turn around, I wrap my jacket around me to keep some warmth as the sun had begun to set. My jacket, his old jacket. Peter's jacket. 

Emmy and Benny were playing tag, while a few gladers, stood by and watched with a smile. Newt stood by Thomas, my brother, and Brenda who had finally confessed their feelings after a full month of being on the island. 

We had been on the island for about 2 and a half months now. Homes were made and so was some furniture. Gally taking over the main builder's role again fell into the normal routine of yelling at people until they did it right. Minho and Thomas had their own running jobs around the island and found the natural foods here and where the freshwater was. And also mapping out the island.

Newt and Sonya had gotten closer, their natural sibling bond forming as they did the gardening with the help of the fielders we had saved and the right arm. 

Before we had left the Scorch, we had a trial of sorts. For both Teresa and Ava. It was difficult for some to come to an agreement on what was to happen to them. But with my own points and with the help of Aris, Ava joined us on the new island. And before anyone could try and disagree with me, I had made the promise that she would see Aris. But I know what she had done, and no it wasn't right. But if it wasn't for her, we wouldn't have found the other facility and saved the fielders. We would have left them behind to be tortured and left for dead. 

So she was allowed to come with us, but she was basically a prisoner. 

Teresa however, only had one person defending her. Even Aris didn't defend her, which I had found a little surprising but I didn't care too much. But for my own brother to be the one to defend her, even slightly. Well, that just pissed me off. And with the side effects of the flare still in my bloodstream, it wasn't pretty.

Emmy got a free pass because while she tried to tell everyone that Teresa wasn't bad, she didn't really know what she had done. And well, I love my child, and was at a full defensive mode and fully prepared to fight god to protect Emmy.

So the choice that Teresa being left behind was practically unanimous.

I felt, and still feel no guilt for that.

I smiled softly as Newt's soft brown eyes met mine, a small smile gracing his lips as he nods to me. I nod my head in return, my way of silently saying that I'm okay. And I am. His death was still fresh, but I was better than before. I was handling it better now.