|22| - Notes of the Past (PETER'S ENDING)

**NOTE FROM THE CRANK OF AN AUTHOR

Yeah, I know this is a bit late, but I have been really busy and I apologize for not giving you this chapter sooner.  I would just like to say that this chapter is not really part of the series. This is just a chapter special for everyone who has read this story so far. This will practically be an alternative ending to what I have already written for the ending of this story. A few details changed from the past plot, but I think you'll understand after reading it. 

But again, this chapter is just a chapter special, chapter 21 was the real true ending to this story. 

Warning, this contains the TDC ending and doesn't follow the plot of B13 that has been written.

Enjoy the chapter!**

'Hello YN,

I know it's been a while since we last saw each other, especially since you're reading this letter. 

I don't know how I died, but I know that I am gone. Otherwise, you wouldn't have this letter. I'm glad you found it, hiding it in my jacket seemed to be the smartest place at the time. No doubt you saw my bad stitching job and opened it and found this and the others. Give the necklace to Emmy will you, I think she should have it. 

I love you, and I always will. 

Sincerely Peter'

**PAST**

[PETER POV]

I stare out the window as the moon shines above the holes in the roof. I glance over at Newt and Sonya, sleeping peacefully next to each other beside the small fire. Mom and Dad had been gone for the fifth day in a row. The food we had gathered was running scarce. 

A gunshot rings out below and I flinch, turning my head towards the window again. 

I sigh as I hear the familiar sounds of the crank screams. I curl up into a tighter ball beside the wall.

~~

They were dead, our parents. Caught stealing food, and were shot and left in the streets. Newt hid Sonya's face from the view, protecting her. But I could only stare in horror and sadness. They were dead. 

We decided to run away from this city, to head further west. Hoping to escape the cruelty of the gangs that ruled over the city. 

The nights where I use to be able to sleep peacefully with my brother and sister were gone. We took turns, me and Newt, staying up and watching over each other while we slept. Days would pass us by, where we had little food to eat, and little time to rest. But we could only push ourselves forward. Make it to a place where we would be safe from Cranks, and a place to call home.

I could only hope that the day would come faster.

~~

I covered my mouth with my hand as I stood in the shadows as the WICKED people walked amongst the crowd of people. My eyes froze on my little sister's blond hair as she walked beside Newt. Dead of the night they came and dragged people to the streets. Other children like us were being pushed behind the yellow tape, where the guards were standing.

I moved forward, uncovering my mouth to place it on the cold concrete wall beside me. I peek through the people crowding the sidewalk. Searching for an opening, to find them.

But I met Newt's gaze, his eyes were wide. But he slowly shook his head, mouthing no to me. And then he was gone. Sonya along with him. I shuffled down into the darkness again, sitting on the ground in a ball to muffle my tears.