C H A P T E R 5

RAVEN

The monitor beeped slowly now and again. Avianna had called and told me that Jax was unconscious when the ambulance arrived at the hospital.

I came early in the morning while she went home to freshen up. Jax groans next to me caressing 'Jessica'.

"Can you get me and Jessica something to eat, please?" He pleads, using his puppy eyes.

"Sure," I shrug and start heading to the elevator. It dinged on the floor that had the cafeteria. I stepped out and saw two guys. One was looking at me with shock while the other was on the phone, his eyebrows furrowing together.

They felt oddly familiar.

And then it hit me, they reminded me of the man in the picture. They both had black-brown hair with a combination of blue-green eyes. They looked just like the man.

Maybe they were his cousins?

I walked past them quickly, trying to avoid any confrontation. Men like that-who most probably were intimidating and held authority- were probably working with the mafia.

I soon arrived in the cafeteria and got Jax his food for him and 'Jessica'. I walked out of the cafeteria to see that the guys were no longer there.

I went into the room and gave Jax his food only to find him watching 'Spongebob'.

~~~

It had already been two days since Jax had come home from the hospital. Avianna went out to visit a few of her old friends.

A knock on the front door resonated throughout the house. I got up and answered it, only to be met with a girl, her clothes soaked from the rain pouring outside.

"Hi, I was wondering if avianna was home?" She smiled sweetly, shivering from the cold.

"No, she went out. Do you wanna wait for her?" I asked. A flash of happiness mixed with some other unknown emotion spread across her face.

A twang of distress went through my heart looking at her. I still didn't know if I should trust her, so I had her stay at the front door until I came back.

She seemed oddly suspicious.

I would be keeping an eye on her until Avianna came.

I went upstairs to get her some towels to keep her warm and dry. I gave them to her as she trembled slightly. She quietly thanked me. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Jax glaring her down harshly.

I excused myself for a minute and signaled to Jax for him to follow me to the kitchen. He came in a few seconds after looking grumpy as ever.

"Why are you looking at her weirdly?" I whisper-yelled.

"She looks oddly familiar and she gives off a bad vibe." He said, glaring at the back of the girl's head.

"Well, quit it. She's just here to talk to Avianna, then she'll leave."

He sighed and we both retreated to the living area. Twenty minutes passed when we heard Avianna unlocking the front door. She walked in with a smile but it dropped when she saw the girl. A glare now set on her face.

"What are you doing here?" Avianna grumbled, setting down her keys on the coffee table.

"I just came here to talk to you," her eyes glued to the ground, not daring to look avianna in the eye.

"Can you guys excuse us for a moment?" Avianna asked both me and Jax. I got up and went to my room while Jax stayed in the hallway, eavesdropping on their conversation munching on potato chips.

~~~

"Raven, this is Amelia, my sister, and she'll be staying with us for a few weeks." Avianna slightly scowled at the back of her sister's head. Her sister sheepishly waved at me.

Avianna and I quietly ate dinner with Amelia. Jax had decided that he would eat in his room. Away from Amelia.

After dinner, I showed Amelia her room and lent her some clothes since she came without any luggage. I went to my room ready to take a shower when the burner phone that I hid in one of my bedside tables, rang to interrupt me from going to the bathroom.

Another mission.

Although I hated going on missions, I still needed the money. Yes, I do work at a bakery but it still didn't cover the apartment bills I had to pay.

Many times after I had gone on missions and earned money, Alessandro would constantly take them from me. But I didn't let that stop me. I had very little saved that I had hidden from Alessandro and bought my own apartment after escaping.

When I had started high school, I took the rest of my years off from missions and had to work like a normal person. Even though my mother was dead, no one at school knew, not even the teachers. For any field trips that I had to attend, I had to forge my permission slips.

I was determined to finish school then continue with my missions but then Alessandro came along and mess with my mind. I would be reminded to teach him a lesson. He was playing with fire and you know what they say; those who play with fire get burned.

Upon opening my door to head to the bathroom, I saw Amelia walking away quickly as if she was standing in front of my door eavesdropping on my conversation.

Ok, this girl is starting to get on my nerves.

I showered then got ready for bed, relaxing after a long day. It's time like this you should enjoy life to its fullest. You never really know if somethings gonna happen to you.

I closed my eyes, ready to sleep without any nightmares.

~~~

Sorry for the late update:(