Chapter Eighteen: Life After Death

Ethan Winters leaves in several more pieces than just the two. Half of the mincemeat mother reduced him to is boxed and sent to Miranda. The other is sent to Heisenberg via catapult I believe. I'm not entirely sure, I only have my sisters cackling to go on.

Mother carried me to bed and the only other place I'm allowed to be is the bathroom for the cleaning of the maw morning and evening and the occasional bath.

Finally I'm allowed out to breakfast. I enjoy sitting with my family at the breakfast table feasting on my first solid breakfast in two weeks. Aunt Donna has become a frequent fixture at the house as long as she's supervised. She doesn't try to take any of my sisters but apparently I'm still a safe bet. So far we haven't gotten farther than the den.

But this lovely morning is interrupted by thundering steps and mother's annoyed expression.

"Alcina!"

"Uncle Karl!"

While my sisters leap up I bristle. Aunt Donna strokes my hair, "It's just Karl."

"It's Heisenberg," My unsettling growl brings a smile to mother's face for a moment. Also with him is mother Miranda and a waddling creature who seems to have trouble breathing and reeks worse than I do after three days without a bath.

"That's my girl. To what do I owe the pleasure of this interruption?" Mother says, rubbing above her right eyebrow very firmly. Both eyes are closed and I can see she's already fighting a headache by the tension in her broad shoulders.

Mother Miranda smiles, "I finally succeeded, I brought everyone to celebrate."

Meanwhile Heisenberg and I are celebrating by trying to kill each other with a look. He's losing with his stupid outdated sunglasses in the way. He takes his hat off indoors like a gentleman. Meanwhile my sisters are pouring all over him.

Aunt Donna pulls my braid out and cards her fingers through to start over again.

"Succeeded at what?"

Mother Miranda grins, "Have you noticed her hair? It's changing colors. I have successfully implanted part of my daughter in her. She's alive and what's more she killed Mr. Winters. It's over and it's begun all at once!"

"As long as she stays here." Her eyes makes a stern sweep around the room and Aunt Donna squeezes my shoulder.

"Well if we're celebrating you should have told me. We can't drink their wine," Heisenberg says, "And what does she drink? Does it just come pouring out?"

My sisters tug and shove at him from all sides. Daniela grabs his dirty, limp lapels, "Don't bother Iulia. That's my younger sister!"

"I'm very well guarded. What the hell are you?" I say, glancing up at aunt Donna and then my sisters and finally mother.

Miranda smiles proudly, "And me."

"I'm still not keen on you."

"Give it time. This is lord Moreau who you haven't met."

Everyone settles around the table and the maids bring more food and wine fit for other people. For the first time I see the full expanse of my new, loving, dysfunctional family.

They arrive in the morning and don't leave until late into the night.

"Goodnight dear."

"So if you're mother Miranda to mother then aren't you grandmother Mirand to us?" I ask, smirking.

Miranda's face sours and she pats my head, "Goodnight dear."

Daniela snickers, "I thought the same thing." Judging by Cassandra's laugh and smile she did too but thought better of vocalizing her thoughts.

When all is said and done mother sighs with a smile, "It's over. He's gone."

I nod.

We all follow mother like ducklings until Cassandra dissipates and goes ahead. Daniela and then Bela follow, leaving me to keep up with mother's long strides.

"Mother," I say, "Instead of an instrument can I learn a different skill?"

"Such as?"

To say I'm thrilled that the idea wasn't immediately shot down is an understatement. I grin, "Horseback riding."

"Ha! Out of the question."

"But mother, didn't you used to ride horses?" Bela chimes in gently.

Cassandra laughs, "She was a champion equestrian for years."

Mother smiles fondly, "Yes. But now there is not a horse in the world that could carry me."

"We'll just have to ask grandmother Miranda."

Hearing mother laugh a warm, bubbly sound makes me smile. She smooths her hand over my head fondly, "Don't call her that too often draga mea. We will consider it. For now, let's call off your violin lessons."

Life changes after that. The maids stop poking me with a mop to wake me up and once all three of my sisters can comfortably walk in the snow outside she stops giving me the morning pills and water.

Lessons finally come to an end which leaves me groping for something to fill my time with, when mother isn't brushing my hair and still dressing me.

Cassandra is overjoyed to have found her favorite maid and girlfriend safe and sound in the village. When she heard she'd been killed she'd fled and been the sole survivor of mother's grief she unleashed on the rest of the staff.

Daniela has taken to bringing home critter after critter and asking if we can keep it. At this point I think Heisenberg has begun helping and giving her more domestic animals. By now I've started helping her keep a rabbit in her room in secret. If and when mother ever finds out we'll beg forgiveness.

And dear Bela is as lost as I am looking for something to do. We both paint and draw but the maids get nervous if we watch them for too long and mother, loving as she is, can't sit still.

"Have you ever played a practical jok-"

Bela claps a hand over my mouth and the other behind the back of my head. Her eyes are wide and she slowly, grimly mouths the word no.

(( Fair Warning! This book is soon coming to a close, once I can think of a happy ending for house Dimitrescu. I'm opening up suggestions for a new book so please comment. I do see and read all of them. ))