Chapter 4

"Why are you back, Camila?"

"I could ask you the same thing," said the brunette.

The two Latinas sat on Lauren's couch after the emotional moment in the kitchen earlier. Lauren watched as Camila took her hand and interlock their fingers together.

"I heard that you were moving to New York and I happened to have a show there. So I was just hoping I'd run into you," she said as she played with Lauren's fingers.

"Oh yeah? And where did you hear that from? Ally?" Lauren asked.

"No. It was your parents actually," Camila said. Lauren raised an eyebrow as she continued, "Before New York, I had a show in Miami. I thought about seeing you and then your parents told me that you moved to New York."

"How long have you been here exactly?" Camila asked.

"Not that long," Lauren paused, "I uh... I just moved a few days ago."

"I see," Camila said.

"Why are you here, Lauren?"

The older girl shrugged, "New York has always have a special place in my heart," Lauren said as she met Camila's gaze, "It was also the last place I saw you."

Camila looked down after giving her former bandmate a sad smile, "What happened to us?" she asked quietly.

"I ask myself the same thing every day," Lauren said as Camila looked up and met her gaze. Lauren felt her heart pick up speed as she stared into those chocolate orbs she loved so much.

"So how are you, Camila? How's the music industry?" Lauren asked before anything happened.

"Still very busy. It's a rush. Sometimes I just want it to stop or at least slow down so I can breathe," she said.

"Remember that feeling? It was insane," Camila said.

"Yeah, it was."

Camila looked at Lauren before she asked, "What happened to you, Lauren?"

"You know that you can talk to me, right?"

"No, I know, it's just," Lauren let out a breath, "I'm not ready yet."

"Will you tell me, one day?"

Lauren gave her a smile as she held Camila's hand, "You'll be the first to know."

Camila returned the smile as she nodded. They sat there in silence for a long while before Camila spoke.

"Lauren, today's my last day in New York. Do you think I could stay here with you?" Camila asked.

Lauren smiled, "Of course."

~

That night, Lauren woke up to the same screeching sound. She was drenched in sweat and she was out of breath. Her breathing was shallow and her heart was beating rapidly against her chest. Thump-thump, thump-thump, thump-thump. Lauren placed a hand over her chest as she tried to catch her breath. She felt her heart rate slow down till it was at a normal pace. Lauren jumped when she heard a knock on the door. The door opened and Camila walked in.

"Lauren?"

"Camila, hi," Lauren said, "What are you doing up?"

"I heard you scream," she said.

Lauren shook her head as she cursed under her breath, "I'm sorry, Camila. I didn't mean to wake you," she said.

"Does this happen a lot?"

"Yeah.."

"And you're always alone when it happens?"

"Yeah," Lauren said as she looked down.

"Scoot over," Camila said.

"What?"

"You heard me," the brunette said as she walked over and laid next to Lauren. Camila turned to her side so that she was facing her.

"What are you doing, Camila?"

"What I should've done all those years ago," Camila said as she leaned in and rested her forehead against Lauren's.

"I'm right here, Lauren. I'm not going anywhere."

Lauren hummed in response and soon she drifted to sleep. When she woke up the next day, she found that she was alone. A part of her was disappointed that Camila had left but another knew why she had to. But strangely, that was the most uninterrupted sleep she had ever had in a long time. Lauren frowned in confusion when she smelt bacon.

~

Lauren limped out of her room and was surprised to find Camila in the kitchen, cooking eggs and bacon.

"Morning," she said with a bright smile.

"Hi," Lauren said in confusion as she approached her and sat on a stool.

"I thought your flight was in the morning," Lauren said.

"It was," Camila said as she turned the stove off and placed a plate of scrambled eggs and fried turkey bacon in front of Lauren.

"Why are you still here?"

"I wanted to stay for one more day," Camila said with a shrug, "Eat up," she said as she placed a hand on Lauren's shoulder as she walked passed her. Lauren chuckled to herself as she ate the eggs and was surprised. The food was really good.

"Why did you stay?"

Camila walked up and wrapped her arms around Lauren as she hugged her from behind.

"Do I need a reason to want to stay?" Camila asked as she rested her chin on Lauren's shoulder.

"I guess not," Lauren said.

"And besides, I want to spend more time with you," Camila said as she kissed Lauren's cheek before she pulled away and walked towards the bathroom. Lauren felt a smile crept onto her face as her heart fluttered. She shook her head as she ate her breakfast.