76 Kyle O'Reilly (Part 2 for #75)

It felt really weird to live here in my old home again. Everything was so familiar and yet somehow completely different. I guess as an adult you perceive certain things differently than as a child.

It took me two weeks to get back into the routine, but by now it was as if I had never been away. I was glad that my parents accepted my offer to take care of everything and went on vacation. They deserved a break and a vacation was exactly what they needed.

But still, they couldn't quite let go. My mother called at least once a day to remind me of this or that. It was a bit difficult to be patient with her, but in the end it was sweet how much she worried about everything. And she was also worried about me. I could just tell. She was probably afraid that I would get depressed and lose my drive.

However, I had to admit that I was doing amazingly well. I also felt as if I were on vacation. Even if it was quite exhausting to take care of all the chores by myself. Taking care of the animals and the plants and the harvest. The farm store was in good hands thanks to Lotti's help, so I didn't have to take care of it as well.

The only thing that bothered me, even after four weeks, was the fact that Kyle hadn't come to my farewell party. Okay, it didn't just bother me, it just hurt like hell. A continuous stab in my side. I had really believed that I would mean a little more to him. I guess I was wrong about that. He didn't even think it was necessary to answer my messages and calls. Apparently I was out of sight, out of mind.

After a long day I just wanted to clean up and get changed so I could jump in the pool for a bit when it suddenly rang at the gate to the homestead. Groaning, I quickly dried my hands and went to the gate to see who came by so late.

The dogs were already standing at the gate and barked. When I came closer I could hardly believe my eyes. That was definitely an illusion. It was just impossible that he suddenly stood here in front of the gate to my home.

"Hi, Y/N!" said Kyle, smiling at me.

"Kyle... what are you doing here?" l asked, bewildered.

"Could you maybe open the gate and let me in. Then I'll explain." he replied.

"No. Fly back home, Kyle. I don't want to see you." I told him, having to force myself not to yell.

"Come on, Y/N! I came all the way here to see you. I need to talk to you. It's important." spoke Kyle, giving me his pleading puppy eyes.

"You could have done that over the phone. Oh wait, you might have had to answer the phone for that. You didn't even say goodbye to me. You hurt me, Kyle! Go away. I don't want to see you." I said and turned and headed back towards the house. I raised my hand and wiped the tears from my cheek.

Then, suddenly, I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned around and looked into the eyes I had missed so much. Even though I would never say that out loud and admit it. I wanted so much to continue to be angry with him, but all my anger melted away with one look into his warm eyes.

"What are you doing? You can't just jump over gates like you please!" I grumbled. I tried hard not to let on.

"Can you maybe shut up for five minutes, Y/N?" he asked.

I crossed my arms over my chest and waited to find out what was coming next.

"I love you!" said Kyle, looking deep into my eyes.

"You... what?" I stuttered.

"I love you, Y/N!" he whispered and began to lean in towards me. I quickly covered his mouth with my hand.

"You're married, Kyle." I replied in a whisper. Then he took my hand from his mouth pressed it against his cheek.

"Don't you dare make me the other woman." I continued.

"If anything, Erica has always been the other woman. I don't know why it took me so long to understand, but I love you! I always have, but I was too cowardly to admit it to myself. I thought I had no chance with you anyway. And then you always encouraged me to focus on Erica. I just never realized how much you were hurting yourself. I'm so sorry. I'm an idiot. I know that. Please give me a chance to prove to you that I am serious. After hearing your conversation with Candice, something in me changed," he explained.

"I love you too, Kyle, but that doesn't change the fact that you're married," I replied softly. Kyle put his other hand to my cheek and gently wiped away tears with his thumb. Gently, I snuggled into his hand.

"I'm not anymore. We broke up. When we talked about it, Erica said that she felt from the beginning that there was something between us, but just didn't want to admit it. I know it took me a long time to get to you, but now I don't want to waste another second," he said and without waiting for my answer, he kissed me passionately. 

"But what are we going to do now? I don't live in the States anymore." I asked after we finally broke away from each other to catch some much needed breath.

"You're coming back. They'll give you a new contract." replied Kyle with a proud look in his eyes. I knew that look.

"All of a sudden? Kyle, what did you do?" I asked suspiciously.

"I may or may not have told Hunter to hire you back or I wouldn't renew my contract," he explained.

"You blackmailed him? For me? What would you have done if he had said no?" I gasped.

"But he didn't. And to be perfectly honest. It doesn't matter where I go, as long as I always have you by my side from now on. We're an even stronger unit now, because I'm never letting you go again. You're stuck with me whether you like it or not," Kyle replied, and then pulled me close to him so he could kiss me again. And probably also to stifle any protest I might have had.

As it turned out, losing my job was probably the best thing that could ever happen to me. Well, that and Kyle's apparent tendency to eavesdrop on other people's conversations.

Published July 5, 2021