XIII - Ponder

"You two be careful out there, alright?" Yuzuriha bidded as she watched her two friends about to leave.

Taiju nodded in acknowledgment, "Of course! We'll be back in a couple of hours."

"Geez, we're just going out to hunt. We're not going to leave forever or something-" Kaoru muttered. Upon seeing the weary look on her face, she realized it was a terrible joke. Wanting to quickly recover from the damping mood, a playful idea came into her mind. With a cheeky grin, she teased "You guys sound like a couple. What am I? Your adopted daughter?"

Both Yuzuriha and Taiju flushed at Kaoru's comment causing the girl to chuckle in delight at her little joke. "Just kidding" she chirped. "Come on Taiju or else Nikki and the others are gonna leave us behind."

"R-right," The big oaf said awkwardly. With one last look from Yuzuriha, he trailed after Kaoru- together, the duo made their way to the forest.

Weeks had passed since her secret trip to the primitive village, and it was clear so many things have changed for the empire since then. Kaoru could tell Tsukasa had been reviving more and more people seeing as every week a new face would come around. She didn't know what was going on in the man's mind, but there's a possibility it has something to do with Senku.

Whenever she'd think of the scientist, she wasn't as worried as before knowing he was safe in the village and had faith that he'd be able to do something to stop Tsukasa. He wasn't alone after all, he had trusted allies in the primitive village along with a fellow modern person Gen by his side. The rumors about Gen's betrayal and Senku's survival began circulating around; this has lead to suspicious stares being thrown at her and at her friends. Kaoru tried her best to ignore these folks since they're just under Tsukasa's influence, they'll see reason after meeting Senku and seeing what he has to offer.

Although, she would be lying if she said that she didn't miss the scientist and the mentalist. Yet, she made a promise not to do anything brash anymore- they were already on thin ice on the empire as it is. All Kaoru could do now at the moment is be patient for Senku's return.

"Oi! Riding Hood!" Kaoru glanced up upon hearing the ridiculous nickname she would be called at times. "You're lagging behind, don't tell you're getting sick again."

Kaoru scowled at Nikki's words. "Shut up" she responded, "I don't have gorilla strength like you guys."

"Gorilla?!" Nikki snarled, angered at her words. "Who are you calling a Gorilla?"

Before matters could get any worse, Taiju intervened. "Now now, fighting's not going to help" He spoke up, "I apologize on behalf of Kaoru's rudeness Nikki-san."

"Booo! Get out of the way Taiju" One of their fellow hunters said.

"I wanna see a girl fight here and now!" Another added.

Kaoru was disgusted by the males exclaiming their desired fight. The girl decided to pull over her hood and walk away. "Oi! Where are you going?" Nikki called out.

"Tracking" Kaoru responded. "After all, that's my main purpose on why you dragged me along."

Nikki huffed, "Petty brat... Always, acting tough." She then began to walk away from Taiju and returned back to the front of the group. "Use your damn nose already. At this point, you're just dead weight in coming along."

Hearing those words Kaoru's eyes widened. "W-what did you just say?" She questioned.

The blonde woman halted in her footsteps and glanced back at the frozen girl. "Huh?"

"What did you just say to me?" Kaoru question once again, her voice slightly quivering. Taiju was taken aback at the blank look on her face- there was no emotion. As his eyes darted towards where Kaoru's hand was reaching, he was stunned.