Recovering

"Leafpool! Help!" 

Your call was muffled as you were trying to drag Squirrelflight to the medicine cat. Why is she so heavy? 

Leafpool's eyes flickered to you, and they widened once they saw Squirrelflight. 

"Okay, (Y/N)," she intructed, bounding over to you, "I need you to go to my den and find some cobwebs and marigold leaves. Got it?" 

You nodded frantically and carefully set Squirrelflight down on a patch of grass that was not stained with blood. Then, leaping into the medicine den, you raised your head and parted your jaws to try and smell out the herbs you needed to get for Leafpool. 

Slowly, your eyes adjusted to the darkness. You sniffed the air, but the scent of other herbs were too strong. 

You paced around the den, not knowing what to do. Then you felt your ear brush something stringy. The cobwebs! 

Feeling around for more, you quickly found a stick on the ground and began piling the cobwebs on it. First herb: collected! You thought happily. 

You tried sniffing the air once more. This time, a sweet scent found its way to you. You followed it and you came to a stop near the far corner of the cave. A glint of yellow caught your eye. Picking a bundle of marigold leaves up with your jaws, you went back to collect the wad of cobwebs as well. 

Picking up the stick was a bit difficult since you already had puffy leaves in your jaws. You ended up having to stick the cobwebs onto your fur. 

Running back to Leafpool, you dropped the marigold in relief. The medicine cat gave you a flat look. 

"What took you so long?" 

"Uh-" you started, but Leafpool had already collected the cobweb from your fur. "This will be enough," she muttered under her breath. 

Leafpool looked up to see you standing awkwardly with nothing else to do. "Why don't you go take a nap?" she suggested, "Squirrelflight will be alright, I promise." 

You let out a breath you didn't realize you were holding. Nodding your head, you turned away to a shaded spot. You looked around the camp, making sure there was nothing else you could do. 

Sorreltail was dragging Rainwhisker's  body out of the warriors' den, her face streaked with tears. Poor Sorreltail, you thought. 

Firestar was organizing patrols to go hunt for the clan, Brambleclaw was helping Sandstorm rebuild the apprentices den, Dustpelt and Ferncloud were trying to calm the kits, and the elders were slowly making their way back down from Firestar's den. 

You closed your eyes and sighed. If you hadn't gone hunting with Shinepaw, perhaps there would be one less dead cat. 

Wait. Shinepaw!