Sero's 22nd Birthday

July 28, 2021

After a long day of work, all Sero wanted to do was go home and relax. He wasn't expecting much for his birthday. Yumi took him to the Golden Noodle the night before, and everyone else had to work. Besides, a quiet night at home with his girl sounded good enough for him.

While he washed the blenders at Juice It Up, he reflected on his birthday from last year. For his 21st, everyone celebrated at Keigo and Dabi's apartment. Although Sero was of drinking age, most of his friends weren't. Drinking at a friend's was a lot safer than trying to score drinks with fake I.D. cards.

Sero remembered getting completely hammered, seeing as he'd drank more at his birthday than he did at Bakugo's. Sero liked to think he gained control of his alcohol intake during the year. Still, he remembered most of the night and how much fun everyone had.

The more he thought about that night, the more he started remembering a conversation he'd had with Kirishima. They'd been one of the last few people still at the party, as Dabi and Keigo had to be designated drivers for basically everyone. They were on the couch, still drinking, with Yumi sound asleep next to him.

Kirishima seemed anxious about something. He cleared his throat. "Hey, man, so....we're really good bros, right?" he asked, looking over at Sero.

Sero looked at him, eyebrows raised. "Yeah, I'd like to think we are."

"Like...you know we've known each other for a long time."

"Yeah....?"

"Have you like...talked about that kind of thing with Yumi?"

Sero felt the arm around his girlfriend tighten. "What kind of thing?"

"Like...you know..um...trying...stuff...with other people."

Maybe he'd consumed too many beers because Sero wasn't understanding what Kirishima was saying. "I don't follow."

Kirishima sighed, rubbing the back of his head. "Well, like...you know how at Build-a-Bear you put the stuffing into one bear at a time?"

"Yeah...?"

Kirishima cleared his throat again, his cheeks turning as red as his hair. "Well, like...what if...it's like that, but...more than one bear at once?

Sero sat there, thinking about the analogy. Bears being stuffed...what did that mean? After thinking about it for a moment, the answer finally clicked. He pursed his lips together, contemplating what to say next. "Like, how many bears are you suggesting?"

"Um...I guess two or three.."

Sero looked down at his sleeping girlfriend then back at Kirishima. He could never see himself sharing her in a way like that. "Um...man, you're one of my best friends, but I don't - "

" - No, yeah, no worries! It was just a question," Kirishima said, nervously laughing. Sero wasn't entirely convinced it was a question.

"So, like....what do you mean? You want....do you want to be the one stuffing bears...or do you want someone else to stuff your bear?"

Kirishima thought about it for a bit. "I mean...I'd be down for either."

Sero just nodded his head and drank his beer. But it was no easier to understand what Kiri was getting at, even while he was sober.

Honestly, it had been a weird conversation. He and Yumi hadn't even been together for a year at that point. With a quiet night at home, maybe he would be able to avoid anything awkward like that happening again.