Viva Las Vegas I

October 14, 2021

Shoto didn't expect Dabi to come through with his promise. But he finally scheduled a day off so he could take him out for soba. Zaru was quiet and casual. They got a side table with two chairs right next to the window. Dabi himself didn't eat very much. He just ordered a few whisky sours and a bowl of miso soup. But he'd made an effort to blend in. He wore a long-sleeved cream-colored sweater to cover his arms. He'd taken off his piercings and rings. If it weren't for the faint little feather tattoos on his face, he could've easily been mistaken for a respectable member of society.

"That's why you're annoyed with Natsuo?" Shoto asked.

Dabi's eye twitched. "I don't need a reason to be annoyed with Natsuo."

It still bewildered Shoto that his oldest brother could be so compassionate and yet so intolerant at the same time. "Do you plan on forgiving him?"

He stared at him as if what he'd proposed was insane. "No. He touched my favorite toy. Back in the day, that was grounds for murder."

Shoto smiled as he tried to imagine it. Five-year-old Natsuo and Toya fighting over a beloved stuffed animal or toy car. Fuyumi trying to break up the fight, ever the peacemaker. "I wish I could've known you then."

"Me too. You would've loved me. I was way cooler than Natsu."

Shoto laughed.

He smirked. "I still am."

All too soon, their meal came to an end. Their server came by with their checks. Dabi held up his card to pay for both.

Shoto frowned. "You don't have to do that."

"Yes, I do. Apparently, it's sexy. Besides...I want to."

I wish I had more time with him. But it's not like I can invite him back to the house...and I don't want to invite myself. Maybe I should suggest getting some sort of dessert?

Dabi's expression became sad when his eyes flickered to Shoto. "Is...Fuyumi doing dinner this weekend?" He asked quietly. "I...I could try to...uh..."

Shoto paled when he remembered how Dabi reacted to their father walking into Hot Topic. Toya didn't even see him. He just heard his voice. But he completely shut down.

"I just wouldn't...talk very much," Dabi said quietly. "Or eat very much. But I don't really eat much anyway."

He winced at the fear in his brother's voice. I can't do that to him. "I won't be around this weekend. Momo and I are going on a business trip."

Some light returned to his eyes. "Oh? What for?"

"Yaoyorozu Tea Co. is expanding. They want to join the serving industry."

His brows went up. "They're opening restaurants?"

"Tea shops. Most of what Yaoyorozu Tea Co. does is production and distribution. But Momo thinks the company should increase interaction with clients. She really likes the customer service side of retail, but she only gets to experience it when she works at Zales. We're hoping to set down the groundwork for future enterprises. So we'll be meeting with potential investors."

"What does that have to do with Todoroki Enterprises?" Dabi asked.

Shoto flushed. "Our companies are business partners. It's important that we have representatives from each respective..."

A wide grin spread on Dabi's face. "You're so full of shit."

He averted his gaze. "We're using a company plane from Todoroki Enterprises. It makes sense for me to go."