Chapter 13

CHAPTER 13

"ARE you okay?"

Hindi ko alam kung magiging okay pa ba ako matapos ang lahat ng narinig at nalaman ko ngayong araw. Tila hindi kayang tanggapin ng utak ko ang lahat ng ito. At higit sa lahat, nakararamdam ako ng galit sa sinumang gumawa nito kay Caleb.

Caleb had been nothing but a sweet guy. He was nice to everyone even to those few who didn't show him respect. Even though I was hurt beyond reason when he decided to cheat on me and leave me in that bus stop while the rain continuously poured down, I still loved him the same. And this time, upon finding out that another innocent life was taken mercilessly; I couldn't fathom how an individual could kill someone without feeling remorseful afterwards.

"If you read what was written in that notebook, you can connect the dots that the sibling's death was connected like what you have speculated at the beginning."

I was pulled out of my reverie when Lew spoke again. I could sense that he was being careful with his words and I appreciate him for that. He may have taken my silence as a sign that I didn't want to talk about how I am feeling right now. Actually, this investigation was keeping me occupied and distracted. At least I have something that could somehow avert my attention from the pain that had been gnawing me since then.

From the outer cover the notebook was as any other, yet to read the pages was to feel as if one bathed in the light of the Holy Grail. I dared to open the notebook I was holding. My eyes flickered quickly to what was written here. One name caught my attention. Felicity.

"So talagang inimbestigahan niya nga si Felicity," I muttered under my breath as my eyes scanned what was written there.

"Yes, apparently I was right on my assumptions. Caleb courted Felicity to probe into her life and to investigate her. But based on what was written there, he didn't find any evidence against her that may pin her as the killer," Lew explained to me as I read a few lines from the notebook.

... Felicity and Selyn are rivals
... Felicity lives four blocks away from the public library
... Not around during the accident

"So, she's really off the hook now?"

"That depends," he answered. His reply grabbed my attention and I finally looked up to meet his eyes. As usual, those black orbs were just staring at me. Like black holes.

I let out a sigh that I didn't know I was holding. "What do you mean?"

"She lives four blocks away from the library," he just said without elaborating and I was left to figure that out. My eyebrows furrowed again.

"Paano? May kinalaman ba 'yun?" I asked when I couldn't get his point. He looked at me as if I just asked the most stupid question. Nagtanong lang naman ako ah.

He rolled his eyes. "Well woman, that just means that she's within the vicinity of the crime scene whether she's the one who does it or not. She could also be a potential witness."

Naalala kong sinabi ni Felicity na nasa kanilang bahay siya magdamag noong February 18, ang araw kung kailan naaksidente at namatay si Selyn. Was she really at home at that time?

"I see you finally get it," sabi ni Lew bago siya tumayo mula sa kinauupuan niya. "Flipped the page of that notebook and you will find that Caleb also began his investigation on Damien, the ex."

I frantically flipped the page and there I found Damien's name written in bold letters and it was even encircled with red ballpen. What does this mean? Is he...

"Of course, we can't rely solely on his investigation as he was not able to complete it," he pointed that out as my eyes do a quick scan on a few bulleted statements on the notes.