Chapter 16

CHAPTER 16

ISANG Linggo na ang nakalipas mula noong ma-ospital si Lew dahil sa kanyang poisoning incident.The stubborn detective went back to work the day after that incident. Pinag-isipan ko na rin ang mga sinasabi niya nang araw na iyon.

"Ysa, stop tagging along with me."

Napagpasyahan kong dumistansya muna sa kaso kahit panandalian lang. Tama si Lew; hindi ko masisilayan ang pagkamit ng hustisya kung patay na ako sa araw na iyon. Aside from that, I've been busy with my work for the past days. As a Feature Editor, I had to go through various interviews so that I could have something to write on a page. However, I never missed a day when I would go to the police station to ask Lew about the progress of the case, just like what he promised. So far, his men had been tailing Damien for days now, tracking his every move. He said there was nothing suspicious. Either Damien sensed that someone was already investigating him or he was really innocent.

Miguel, on the other hand, was also busy with the upcoming release of our magazine. He was still one of our suspects so I have to keep an eye on him. The thing was I never get the chance to interact with him even once.

It's also been a week without any news from the serial killer. I was told that he didn't strike on that night contrary to what he promised through a phone call. I guessed he just wanted to terrify the people and misled the Police. It’s still a mystery why the killer did that.

I am currently polishing my article to be included in the next issue of our magazine when someone knocked on my cubicle. My hands instinctively went over my chest as I calmed down my racing heart.

“Sorry, nagulat ba kita?” his deep voice seemed to reverberate inside the office even though I am sure I was the only one who could hear it. All the other employees were busy in their own world and not aware that I am now face to face with one of our suspects.

Miguel Vidad had that serious look on his face just like Mr. Jacinto. Maybe it happened when all you’re facing was the computer with thousands of letters on it. His rumpled look and relaxed manner suggested a man in whom casualness ran deep. He met my gaze not with a blunt refusal to avert his eyes first. How odd to see that half-familiar features devoid of warmth, like they were stolen.

When I only stared at him stupidly, he spoke again. “You look pale, it’s like you’ve seen a ghost.”

I was broke out of my trance. No, I have not seen a ghost; I am currently facing another potential murderer. I fought the rising panic that I suddenly felt. I cleared my throat in an attempt to prevent my voice from shaking before replying.

“Mr. Vidal, pasensya na. Masyadong abala lang ako sa trabaho, that’s all. What can I do for you?” I asked making my voice a bit enthusiastic. I should not be too obvious. We are still not certain on who killed Selyn and Caleb, so this guy here is not yet off the hook.

He smiled understandingly—much more understandingly. It was one of those rare smiles with the quality of eternal assurance in it that you may come across four or five times in life. It made me doubt him with the slightest bit. Can this man kill someone?

“Ah, well it’s not work-related,” he replied abruptly as he still stood in front of me with his hands clasped behind his back.

I was instantly enveloped by nervousness again when he mentioned that it's not work related. I would have appreciated it more if he has some articles for me to edit.

"Okay, what about it?" I queried with a slight shake in my voice. Come on, Clarissa, now is not the time be a scare-dy cat.

"I heard you were investigating Selyn's death?" he asked cautiously, his eyes watching me with scrutiny.