Chapter Two - Arrival of Ayanokoji (Bus Scene)

This video is from a bus journey, on your very first day of school

As those words disappeared from the screen, the first video started. Like the text has said, the setting was a bus filled with students wearing the ANHS uniform. One of those people happened to be me.

"Hey, there's Horikita! And Ayanokoji!" Ike yelled.

(A/N - I used the anime version of Ayanokoji's monologue because it's easier to use in this format than the light novel's version.)

If I may, I'd like to pose an interesting question: "Are all human beings truly equal?" These days everywhere you go there's talk about a fight for equality.

That's my voice. No. Those are my thoughts. I couldn't quite believe what I was hearing and judging from the faces of those around me, everyone was in the same boat.

As a wise man once said, "Heaven does not create one person above or below another." People like to throw these words around. That's not the whole quote. It goes on to say that "...while we are all equal at birth, pretty soon, things begin to change. The academic effort is what sets some people apart to rise above others."

"A-are these your thoughts Kiyotaka-Kun?" Yosuke asked.

My best option here was to say no. However, it was likely that future videos would continue in this style. Eventually, even the slowest student would realise that these were, indeed, my true thoughts.

"Yes, they are." I conceded.

"These are very deep thoughts Kiyopon!" Haruka turned to me with one eyebrow raised.

"E-eh, this is completely going over my head." Ike had his head cocked like a confused dog.

At any rate, humans change over time based on their actions. Truth be told at the end of the day, equality is just a fantasy. And most of us go through life denying the fact that we live in a meritocracy.

"Fufu, this is interesting, indeed." Sakayanagi had a wide smile on her face as she digested my thoughts.

"I didn't realise you had such thoughts about subjects like equality, Kiyotaka." Keisei said.

"Well, I spend a lot of time alone, so sometimes my thoughts can go off in weird directions"

"This thought process...your thoughts are surprisingly interesting." It seemed like Horikita was mocking me.

(A/N - And now we are back to the LN)

"Excuse me, but shouldn't you offer up your seat?"

My eyes, which were about to close, snapped back open. Huh? Could this person be angry with me? But I realized that it was someone else being scolded.

A young, well-built blond man of high school age had sat down in one of the priority seats. The elderly woman stood right next to him, and another woman beside her. This second, younger lady appeared to be an office worker.

"Ah, I had no idea you were in my brilliant presence at that time, Ayanokoji-boy!" Koenji, who had been busy filing his nails until this point, finally seemed to be paying attention.

"Hey, but aren't you in a priority seat?" Sato asked, glaring at Koenji

"Hey, you there. Can't you see that this elderly woman is having trouble?" the office lady said.

She seemed to want the young man to offer up his seat.

Her voice carried quite well throughout the quiet bus, attracting several people's attention.