Chapter Seven - Kushida's Accusation

We were around halfway through the ten-minute break we were given. Most people had begun talking amongst themselves. Initially, I had been bombarded with questions - so many that even if I had intended to answer any, I probably wouldn't have been able to. I had been saved by a mix of Horikita, Yosuke and the Ayanokoji group who had all defended me against the torrent.

My mind worked through all that had happened thus far. I was attempting to find a pattern in the videos we were shown. To start with, I'd guessed they'd follow a chronological order, but while each video was taken from around the same time, not every video was a sequel to the one before. Perhaps they were in order of importance? In that case, what did the creator value as important? But really, that idea was made unlikely by the fact we'd been shown videos of my assimilation into the school. Did the creator find that important or was this idea also wrong? If I could figure out the motive, I could have much better control over the situation and perhaps prepare in advance.

In any case, there were still some things to be done regardless.

Dismissing my thoughts, I pulled my phone out of my pocket and sent a message to Horikita. I watched as she also retrieved her phone and saw my message. Having read it, she turned and gave me a look that verged on anger and exasperation simultaneously. Unfortunately for her, this wasn't a problem such emotions would solve by themselves.

I'd slightly lost track of time while gathering my thoughts. The next video should be starting any second now. I had an idea what this one might be. Debating with myself whether I should send another message to somebody else, I ultimately decided against it. If I was wrong, then I could do more damage than good.

"Everyone quieten back down!" Mashima addressed the hall from the front.

Within just a few seconds, the students had returned to an acceptable level of noise. With this many people, that was actually very impressive.

"I'm sure you all understand the process at this point. I'll begin the next video,"

As he said those words, everyone focussed on the screen. A certain individual used this opportunity to leave their seat and exit the hall.

So are the students of Class C super happy with Ayanokoji for saving their classmate now?

Heart-warming stuff like that is great and all but this video is going to be a little bit different.

Ever wondered if the person sitting next to you is really how they appear?

They left us with that vague and eerie question and immediately transitioned into the video.

I left the library and chased after Kushida. I wanted to thank for her working so hard to get the study group together and to apologize. Besides, I wanted to do everything possible to get along with such a cute girl, you know?

"Do you have these thoughts about every girl?" Kei asked and then instantly started coughing as if she hadn't meant to say it aloud and was making a hurried attempt to cover herself.

"I meant it in an objective way," I replied.

Kei didn't reply but I hadn't expected her to anyway.

"Wait, why are you going after Kushida-san anyway," Sato asked.

"Library? Is this when our first study session...went off the rails?" Horikita surmised.

"Yeah, I think so," I said.

"In that case, he's trying to apologise to her for the session going poorly. Kushida-san had been the one who had set up the meeting and made it possible in the first place," Horikita explained.