Interlude 1

(A/N - Interludes will occasionally break up chapters so I can expand upon some characters' reactions and keep it semi-realistic. I'll release these alongside new chapters rather than alone.)

Do you get the picture now?

Words appeared back on the screen after the video had ended. I saw some students nod their heads in response. They do realise that this is pre-recorded, right?

There are many, many more videos to go so at convenient intervals, I will allow you to rest your eyes and minds.

There should have been a schedule shown to you.

You will be watching these videos for two weeks and I am filled with anticipation to see how you will act after watching them all.

For today, there are still some more videos to get through.

But take five - take in what you have seen and be ready to witness more.

With that, the messages stopped and the screen went black leaving the gym hall in darkness. A few seconds later, one of the teachers switched the lights on and Mashima walked to the front of the audience.

"Do as you were told and take five minutes to process." Mashima looked as if he needed to do the same, but he kept his composed attitude, "I'm sure the video will start up again when it's time to continue."

He then left us to our own thoughts.

Class D's Discussion

"Hey, any idea what the point of that was?" Sato asked

This was the question on most of Class D's minds. Everyone was looking at either Horikita or Yosuke, seemingly expecting them to have all the answers. When both remained silent, they began glancing around at others to see if anyone else had a clue.

"Maybe they just want us to know each other better?" Kushida suggested.

"But it's already apparent what kind of person Koenji is," Keisei disagreed, "If your suggestion was true, then would they not show us something we don't know about him?"

Kushida slightly nodded, mildly irritated that her idea had been shot down so easily.

"Regardless of the reasoning, I'm more interested in the fact that we are able to hear what Kiyotaka was thinking." Keisei continued.

Remembering that fact, Class D turned to look at me with inquisitive faces. They didn't really expect me to have an answer, did they?

I shrugged and said, "I have no clue how they made it possible but everything I 'said' in that video actually was what I was truly thinking."

"There seems to be a lot going on in that head of yours, Kiyopon!" Haruka giggled, "I mean, who bothers about things like equality while riding the bus to school?"

Apparently, she found my idle thoughts amusing.

"Yeah, Ayanokoji, that was kinda weird." Ike somehow still looked confused.

I simply shrugged my shoulders again. There was no point in discussing my every thought. Although I was interested in how it was possible that my internal dialogue was being heard. As far as I was aware, there was no current method of extracting people's thoughts. I'd also never heard of it being researched at the White Room either. Was it something they did without my knowing?

I decided that I needed more information before theorising on where these videos were coming from. If this was genuinely a government project, then other students' thoughts should be coming in future videos. However, if it is only my perspective, then the chances of my father being involved become a certainty.