[14-2] Throw Fading Thoughts into the Sky

She goes back to kicking her rock. It's not exactly entertaining, but following its bounces and skips with as much speed and agility as she can muster at least feels like doing something. Training, maybe, Beginning thinks with a silent giggle. Something to make her stronger.

As she moves, her thoughts wander— to the plan, to the sparkling world, and to Judgement. Those are the things that keep slipping inside of her head when she least wants it. There's nothing she can do about them. No matter how much she wants to, Beginning's options are limited. Judgement is unstoppable, and even thinking things such as those would be reason enough for her to be killed, surely. Beginning knows it's dangerous to hold any kind of rebellion in her heart, but even so, she can't let it go.

There's a part of her that refuses to give up so easily. It doesn't want to assume the worst until she's on her last breath fighting for better.

But kicking the rock eventually leads her to a small clearing in-between rows of houses. A few dark, dead trees are scattered about it, casting looming shadows over the dried-up grass of the ground, and in the middle of the scene sits none other than Secrecy. Her eyes are closed, and a few small objects float around her in complex, impossible-to-track paths.

Should she approach...? The last time she interacted with Secrecy, it didn't go badly, but the mysterious girl isn't exactly Beginning's favorite person. As stubborn as she is, she can be difficult to deal with up close.

She's been making progress with everyone. It can't hurt to try.

"Hello," Beginning says lightly. "How are you, Secrecy?" She steps toward the pile of pale robes settled on the ground. Secrecy doesn't so much as crack open her blind eyes or tilt her head in Beginning's direction. It's as unnerving as it ever is, but there's little chance to turn back now.

"Ah, Beginning. I see you're here to make a nuisance of yourself," Secrecy says bluntly. "I wonder what your plan is this time, hm?"

Beginning has to make herself keep smiling. As always, Secrecy is far from a pleasant person to be around. As much as she knows that the other girl has her good points, that doesn't exactly make it easier to be around someone who does nothing but act like she knows more than everyone and push anyone who tries to get close to her away. She's... standoffish.

"Nothing. I don't have a 'plan' or anything. I just wanted to talk to you." Beginning tucks her dress under her and sits down at the foot of the tree closest to Secrecy. "I don't really intend to leave, but that's it."

"Interesting. So your idea of being 'nice' is to force your unwanted presence upon me. How kind of you. I'm truly flattered," Secrecy deadpans. Sarcasm is thick in her low, soft voice. And... it doesn't have as much bite as it should. When she thinks about it, Beginning gets the feeling that the sharp words might be some kind of defense mechanism. Maybe Secrecy is just uncomfortable with her being nearby. It wouldn't be a surprise.

"Um, I guess? Am I really that unwanted?" Beginning replies. She's not sure if she's pushing too far, but it doesn't feel wrong.

"Quite. I find your existence in my immediate vicinity to be highly bothersome. After all, you're the kind of person who says whatever comes to your mind and doesn't listen to what anyone tells you... I wonder, have you grown any closer to knowing who you are...?" Secrecy leaves the question open-ended. It's clearly meant to strike a nerve for Beginning, and yet—

There's nothing intimidating about it. By now, just the same as with Cruelty, Beginning has learned not to listen. She doesn't have to take these people seriously. Whatever Secrecy says, there's no reason why she should be automatically right. Beginning knows herself, and that's enough.