[09-2] If I'm to Experience the Pain of Living

It's almost time. Or at least, that's what everyone says. The cemetery near Judgement's church buzzes with a strange energy. Beginning sees flickers of red every time she ventures too close-- Judgement's fire, blazing high from beyond dark stained glass. Just looking at it fills her with a sense of dread. Just thinking about it makes Beginning absolutely sick.

They're going to cross over into the human world before long. There are no doubts about that. Judgement is strong enough to do it. Whatever she's doing in that church, Beginning is certain that she's going to succeed.

The change is making everyone tense; a sense of anticipation and tension settling over the lot of them. Beginning can feel how worked up everyone is getting, and it's quickly making her nervous. She catches more fights, more squabbles, more trails of blood left behind on the cobblestone streets. It feels dangerous to wander too much, so Beginning settles for hiding out in the ruins. She feels a bit like Cowardly, but it seems a lot better than braving the tension that's filling the foggy air.

But then, Jealousy tracks her down, relaying a message from Judgement that Beginning is to go on a last-minute patrol in order to make sure that no one new has formed. That there's no one else that Judgement wants. Beginning gets a shiver down her spine just hearing the order, just thinking that there could be someone else out there like her.

Knowing that there's absolutely nothing she can do to say no, Beginning reluctantly follows Jealousy to the edge of town, avoiding any sort of chatter. Jealousy seems very, very tense, and Beginning knows why. She doesn't want to poke any further after their last meeting. She doesn't want to make anything worse. So she follows Jealousy in silence, half-praying that she won't be sent on this mission alone.

However, when she sees the person waiting for the two of them to arrive, Beginning suddenly regrets hoping for anyone to go with her.

Negativity, wearing her ragged dress and her usual bitter expression, brilliant red eyes fixed on Beginning like nothing could be worse than seeing her there. Beginning smiles and waves hesitantly. All it earns is a grimace.

Well, this is going to be lovely. As in, Beginning is deeply, deeply regretting that she's not partnered with someone like Obsession.

"Well, sucks to be me I guess," Negativity says bitterly once Jealousy leaves. "I get to be stuck with you. I mean, you get to be stuck with me too, so I guess you're no better off. Lucky us, huh?" Right away, more pessimistic words. Beginning tries very, very hard to remind herself that she was going to be kind to this person. That she has to go through with it.

"Let's at least hope we get along," Beginning says with a nervous laugh. Negativity looks at her like her head is screwed on backward.

"Sure. Just get walking."

Their job, apparently, is to patrol the outskirts of the town just to see if there's anyone new out there. Beginning gets the distinct feeling that this is a fool's errand, but it's not like she can question Judgement.

Silence falls over the two of them for a while, both walking side by side and not meeting eyes. Negativity is looking away with bitterness, and Beginning just isn't sure how she's supposed to start any kind of conversation. She feels lost in way too many ways.

"Um..." she starts eventually. "Is there anything you want to talk about? It's kind of awkward to be quiet for all this time, right? I don't really care what it is; I'd just be okay with listening."

"Ugh, you're acting nice again," Negativity bites out. "Gross. I guess I can talk about something, but it's just gonna be me complaining. You can put up with it for the ten seconds I know you're going to, then we can just go back to silence, okay?" She smirks a bit, clearly expecting Beginning to back out, which is most definitely not happening. Beginning pointedly nods.