0.2 Standing Out

Flora 

"Right, so I would like you all to split into partners to practice the incantations of the spell, but once again, we are just practicing, not executing." Remus stood at the front of the chamber, giving instructions. 

I was still stunned that he was here, teaching. He had managed to keep it a secret for however long and happened to not tell me until the very last minute when he showed up in the classroom when everyone else found out too. 

My palms began to sweat as he said, partners. Neither Cho nor Luna were in my Defense Against the Dark Arts class and I was not overly familiar with many of my classmates. As students began to stand and find partners, I stood, awkwardly and anxiously, looking around the room. Disappointment, mostly in myself, set in quickly as I realized I wasn't going to have anyone approaching me to be their partner. 

Taking a deep breath, I tapped the shoulder of a girl near me, "hi, I was wondering if you had-"

"Already got a partner, thanks." She said, curtly, turning around. I pursed my lips and nodded to myself, not wanting to try again. While the room was bustling with students moving around, I made my way up to Remus. 

"Is there any way I can just do this by myself?" I whispered. He looked at me with a knowing smile. 

"Nope." I stared blankly at him until he spoke again, "this year will be about making friends." He said. 

"I have friends." I groaned. 

"More friends." 

"You're impossible." I sighed. 

"I love you, hon." He said as I turned around to walk back to my seat. 

"Mmhmm." I sat back down at my desk, feeling defeated and simultaneously disappointed in myself for giving up so quickly. 

"Erm, excuse me, I need a partner, I was wondering if you had one?" I turned my head and was met with the presence of George Weasley. Well, this is certainly turning around

"I- erm, no- I don't- need, no I do need- no." I stumbled harshly over my words, blushing furiously but George just laughed it off, casually before sitting down next to me. 

"Flora right?" He asked while all enthusiasm drained from my body. We had just spoken the other night in the Prefect's bathroom, he addressed me by name- well, alright, my last name but still. I could feel the smile melt off my face while I pushed my lips into a tight line, nodding my head. 

I wanted this not to hurt my feelings as much as it did but it plagued my mind through the majority of the lesson. George spent most of it laughing and goofing off with Fred and Lee while I wrote down notes about the history of the spell. 

Finally, after fifty minutes of Defense Against the Dark Arts, the class ended, Remus sending us on our way with the task of writing an essay on the defense spell we learned. I gathered my things, wanting nothing more than to leave the room.

"Hey, Flora!" I heard someone call my name. Not really wanting to deal with anyone, I vaguely contemplated just continuing to walk away but immediately felt bad about even considering it. I stopped just outside the doorway of the chamber. George was there. 

"Hey, I'm sorry about earlier," I lifted my head, feeling a rush of giddiness, "did you catch what we're supposed to do for homework?" And once again, completely disappointed. 

"Um, an essay on the defense spell we learned. I believe Remus wants five inches of parchment." I said, picking at my lip. In a moment of aggravation and not thinking, I added, "oh, it's erm, Fred right?" I felt satisfied as the smile on his face twinged. I turned on my heel, almost instantly feeling horrible about it. I turned back around. 

"I'm sorry," I exclaimed, "I know you're George and I know people often mix you up with Fred, I was just, I don't know, you acted like you knew who I was the other night and then asked for a reminder on my name today, it just- I'm sorry." I rambled before once again, turning around and rushing down the corridor to my next class. 

~

"So you just called him Fred and then apologized for it?" Cho asked as we took notes on the progress of our growing Gillyweed. 

"Mmhmm." I said, pushing my glasses up. I paid close attention to our Gillyweed, my focus entirely on the assignment which started a few days ago, planting and looking after our own Gillyweeds with a partner. 

"That's really not bad, I don't think." Cho replied. 

"It was mean." I mused, absently, smiling at the progress of our plant, not paying much attention to my words. "It was mean." I repeated, more seriously. 

"Plenty of people mix them up." She said. I sighed. 

"Sure but I knew who I was talking to," I murmured, feeling worse about it. 

"I'm lost." 

"In Defense Against the Dark Arts, he asked if I needed a partner but then asked what my name was for clarification. We had spoken the other night! He called me by my last name!" I said, getting flustered. 

"Right okay, so you got upset and called him Fred to try and make him understand your aggravation with the situation?" Cho asked. I nodded sheepishly. "But now you feel terrible about it?" She continued. I nodded again.

"Why don't you just try talking to him?" Cho asked. I scoffed, looking between our project and her notes. 

"Or, I could just avoid him for the rest of my time at Hogwarts." I mumbled. Cho bumped my arm with her elbow, rolling her eyes. 

"Come on, you know that's not logical." 

"How do you mean? I think it's perfect." I said, using a dropper to add some growth draught to the Gillyweed. 

"He probably meant nothing by it." Cho responded. 

"I know, it's just another reminder that he has no idea who I am." I said, glumly. 

"He knows who you are Lor, trust me."

~

i ran out of ideas yikes sorry about that. ill have better ones later on. update soon. dont forget to like/comment/share. word count: 1037