0.10 Little Miss Perfect

Flora

Sitting on a desk in front of Remus, swinging my legs absently, I asked, "do you think I'm a little miss perfect?" 

He seemed startled by the question. Looking up and struggling for an answer, he said, "w-what, erm, what do you mean?" 

"I mean like a stick-in-the-mud, stuck-up rule follower with perfect grades, attendance, and avoidance of detention." Remus's eyes blew wide at my description.

"Merlin, alright. No, I don't think you're stuck up at all. You should be proud of your grades and attendance and staying out of trouble, though I do always say that your grades do not determine your self-worth. And I wouldn't call you a stick-in-the-mud per se. I mean, you do tend to error on the side of caution." 

I frowned. 

"And that's okay!" Remus fixed, "That's perfectly alright. What's brought this on all of a sudden?" 

I sighed, letting my head fall back to stare at the cracks in the stone ceiling, "nothing. Someone just said something and I hadn't realized that's what everyone thought." I said, vaguely and uninterested. 

Alright, fine, uninterested in the understatement of the century, I hadn't slept at all last night, too busy laying away thinking about how everyone thinks I'm just a know-it-all who would never dare skip class who never speaks to anyone. 

"Do you agree with it?" I shrugged. 

"I mean, typically it's my understanding that a 'little miss perfect' is stuck up and a pain in the arse who wants everything to go her way and will do anything to keep her image and how people see her completely pristine," I rambled, "and I would like to think I'm not stuck up and I don't really think that much about what other people think," I paused for a moment, "well, I suppose that's not really true but it's more of an 'I would really prefer if people didn't give me attention because I don't want anyone to not like me or have negative perceptions of me so I keep to myself and try to keep the rest safely contained' type of idea," I said. 

Remus had taken a seat, pinching the bridge of his nose. 

"I think I've concluded that a little miss perfect is exactly what I am," I said, dread in my tone and my eyes wide. 

Remus smiled, "the only thing wrong with that, is that there is no such thing as being perfect and I don't want you to jump through rings of fire trying to attain an unrealistic standard for yourself. I love this Flora, just the way she is." 

I smiled half-arsed, looking down again. Remus came over to me, kissing my forehead. "Try not to be so hard on yourself, yeah?" 

I nodded, hopping off his desk. 

~

Throughout quidditch practice, I kept to myself. I tended to do that anyway but seemed to be falling farther into the habit since the lovely conversation I'd had with Fred yesterday. The wind was bitter as I flew around looking for the snitch. 

Luckily for the sake of the team, I was able to zone all my attention onto the bloody snitch whizzing around the pitch. Everything seemed to be going smoothly considering we had a match against Gryffindor coming up and we had all been nervous about it. 

After practice ended, I stayed with Roger, clearing up some sloppy techniques and things to look out for with Gryffindor's seeker. My nose was red as I changed from my quidditch uniform back into my school uniform. 

As I walked down the hall, I pondered about the things Fred called me. The things everyone was thinking but had never said until him. I knew Fred wasn't my biggest fan but I tried to run through my interactions with him, searching for anything I'd done or said to make him upset. 

Lost in thought, I bumped right into someone. "Oh, sorry Flora!" I tensed slightly upon hearing the voice of a Weasley Twin, only relaxing when I looked up to see George. 

"Oh, sorry Georgie, I wasn't paying any attention." I laughed, nervously, missing the way his ears burned red at the nickname. 

"What had you so lost in thought?" He asked. I pursed my lips, unsure if I wanted to get into that. 

"Just the quidditch match coming up. We are playing the team to beat." I joked, anxiously rocking back and forth on my heels. George hummed in response, looking just as distant as me. 

"Hey, listen," he said, "about what Fred was saying yesterday," I cleared my throat nervously, "I didn't know he was gonna just blurt all that out. He can be a real oblivious git sometimes." We both laughed half-heartedly. 

"Yeah..." I trailed off.

"I wanted to tell you that I don't think of you like that." My ears perked up. "And even if I did, there's nothing wrong with wanting to attain those goals. Of course, perfect is difficult to attain and no one's perfect and that's okay! W-what I mean to say, Flora, is that I think you're great just the way you are. Little Miss Perfect and all." George finished his rambling with a shy smile. 

I was smiling, trying to contain myself. 

"Thanks, Georgie. I think you're great just the way you are too. Professional prankster and all." Maybe being Little Miss Perfect wasn't so bad after all. 

~

shorter kinda filler. im trying to pace myself with chapters cause i suck at that lmao. dont forget to like/share/comment. update soon. word count: 918