0.6 All We Do is Sit in Silence

Flora

"A tutoring program?" I asked, swinging my legs as I sat on a stool, facing Professor Sprout. She nodded, humming.

"And you want me to be a part of it?" I added. She hummed again, responding with a yes.

"Are you sure you want me for that?" I felt skeptical. Professor Sprout stopped what she was doing to stare blankly at me.

"Dear, first of all, you are a Ravenclaw for a reason. And second, you are my top student for your year. Gosh, maybe even the year ahead of you." I picked at my lip, not looking up.

"Well, I suppose-"

"Brilliant! I actually have a student who needs assistance, I believe you'd be perfect for the job." I looked up as someone walked into the room.

"Ah, Mr. Weasley, just in time!" My whole body experienced a heat flash as I looked up while George greeted Professor Sprout. I exhaled, pursing my lips together. I had been a bit tense this morning after waking up late, dropping my coffee mug, resulting in shards of ceramic cup flying everywhere, Snape tearing apart the foundations of my essay, and failing a Divination quiz.

"Flora is going to be your peer tutor for Herbology! I have the utmost confidence in her as she is my top student. She's practically a mini-me!" Professor Sprout laughed as George smiled. I pulled a smile from the depths of my soul, digging through the bitterness of my mood to present a joyful exterior.

I noticed ever-so-briefly the skeptical look George gave me, cloaked in slight concern, slight confusion as I was sure this wasn't something he'd ever seen from me.

"I was thinking we could map out a schedule of availability for the two of us and if it were possible, a brief summary or list of the areas you'd like to focus on or go over," I said, pulling a fresh scroll of parchment from my bag. George nodded, sitting down next to me.

Over the next thirty minutes, George and I successfully completed a schedule of dates, times, and locations to meet up to go over his areas of struggle. He held the door for me as we left the room. I was about to walk my own way before George stopped me.

"Hey, Flora, are you alright?" He asked.

"Mmhmm," I replied, turning on my heel. George had gently grabbed my elbow, stopping me from leaving.

"You seem unlike yourself today," George said while I looked at him with wide eyes.

"Just tired," I replied.

"Hey, if tutoring me takes up too much of your time, it's really not a problem at all, I wouldn't want you to be overworked or stretched too thin." My heart swelled at his concern as I did rarely turn down an opportunity to help people and it often could be draining.

"No, it's alright. Really." I said, smiling. George seemed slightly unconvinced but I bid him goodbye and went on my way to trudge through the rest of the day.

~

George's first tutoring session was the next day at 1:00 pm. We met in the library, sitting in my favourite corner. George was distracted, to say the least. His leg bounced like crazy, shaking the table, fingers tapping on the table, his head never staying in one place for too long as he repeatedly glanced around.

It had been like this for fifteen minutes. Complete silence between the two of us but utter restlessness on George's part. I wondered what had him so antsy as I hadn't seen him like this before.

"Would you like to start with plant categories?" I asked, attempting to make a least a little progress. My effort was futile. I picked at my nails for the better half of an hour until my fingers were aching.

"Alright well, why don't we start with Gillyweed? I've been working with that recently so it's fresh in my mind." I nearly sighed in tired frustration working hard to keep my composure. When he still didn't say anything, I stood up.

"I'm taking a water break." And walked away from the table. I stormed into the corridor just outside the library, leaning against the wall. I forced myself to take deep breaths, redirecting my anger.

"You are spending time with George Weasley. He is willing to spend time with you, Flora, Merlin. Get over yourself." I grumbled to myself, taking one more inhale before walking casually back into the library.

When I walked back in, George was nowhere to be found. I laughed in disbelief, raising my hands just to drop them down against my sides.

"You've got to be joking," I muttered, angrily packing up my things. I would've ordinarily figured he'd just taken a break too but all of his belongings were gone too. After a week of things not going right, pouring all my energy into my school work, quidditch, and helping other people with their school work, the icing on the cake was being ditched by the person I was tutoring.

I'd never actually had that happen before. It was nearly impressive, the way he'd just disappeared without a trace as if we'd never even been here at all. In defeat and fighting the tired, frustrated tears clouding my eyes, I left the library, ready to just lock myself in my dorm and not come out until tomorrow.

I sniffed quietly, willing myself to not draw attention. The corridor was for the most part abandoned as I shuffled my feet. As I approached a completely empty hallway, I let myself start to cry.

I leaned again at the wall of a little alcove in the shadows. It had been a place I was familiar with as I tended to venture there in times that looked like this one. I quieted down as I heard footsteps approaching. I tucked myself into the darker corner of the little alcove as to not be seen by anyone.

"Flora?" The voice was familiar which made it worse. I groaned, frustrated that whoever this was knew instantly that it was me.

"How did you even do that?" I exclaimed, still upset. I stepped out of the shadows and was greeted by a Weasley twin. My blurry eyes had trouble distinguishing which twin in particular it was.

"Flora, what's going on, why are you crying?" By the concern in his voice, I quickly found I was speaking to George. This only made me cry harder, growing more agitated.

"You just ditched our session! Who does that? I took my own personal time out of my day to help you with Herbology, Herbology for Merlin's sake, that's the easiest subject!" I exclaimed, startling him. I watched the colour drain from his face as a realization of sorts must've hit him.

"Merlin, I'm gonna kill him." He whispered. I sniffled, wiping my eyes as I stared at him.

"What?"

"I- erm, I sent Fred in my place to the tutoring session." George mumbled, shuffling his feet sheepishly. I scoffed in disbelief. To think I could get any more annoyed. I never displayed this attitude. I wanted to storm out right then but I refused to do that.

Instead, I took a deep breath and asked a question, "why did you switch with Fred?" I asked as calmly as possible. I was satisfied at the way George was visibly unsettled by my sudden calmness.

"He had a potions make up test. He's rubbish at it, wanted me to take it for him, so we switched." I nodded, not saying anything.

"Alright." Was all I said. Too much had happened and I wasn't in the mood to process any other oddities of the day.

"Alright?" George echoed.

"Alright."

"Flora, I'm sorry, I didn't realize Fred was going to do that, he's a git. I'll be there, tomorrow, bright and early... with breakfast! I won't waste your time, I swear to Merlin." George sputtered. It made me feel a bit better to know that it wasn't George being so unlike himself. I wondered to myself how I failed to notice the wrong twin was present, though I blamed it on my grogginess.

"Yeah, alright. I'll see you tomorrow, George." I said, turning on my heel. George exhaled deeply, as though a great weight had been lifted from his chest.

"I won't let you down!" He called down the hallway. I rolled my eyes, attempting to hide my smile as I walked.

~

No idea where this was going but it happened so woohoo. I'm finishing up my first week of college which is wild but its been epic. Hopefully more updates to come this weekend. Don't forget to like/share/comment. Word count: 1456