0.12 Talking to the Moon

Flora

Sitting in the corridor outside the Ravenclaw common room, I flipped the page of my book as I waited for George. The hallway was buzzing with students excited for Hogsmeade. I tried in vain to not continuously check the watch on my wrist as the moments of how long ago George was supposed to meet me grew.

"Flora! Hi, so sorry!" I exhaled deeply, as George came bounding up to me.

"Hi Georgie." I said, smiling.

"Sorry for the wait, Fred and I were giving Harry a tool of our's, the secret to our success, really. See, he's banned from going to Hogsmeade cause the poor lad didn't get a permission slip, we thought we'd help him out." George explained as we walked out to the carriages. The Thestrals waited to lead each one as we approached.

I reached out for one of them, it nuzzling it's head into my hand.

"You can see them?" George asked as we waited for an open carriage. I nodded.

"Mmhmm." I answered, unsure of whether I should explain further or wait for George to ask any questions, was he going to.

"Do you mind my asking? Only people who've seen death can see them. Or at least that's what I've heard." George rambled as we boarded.

"I don't mind. I was really little so, I don't remember it much but my mum died and I was there. Technically I saw it but I was barely even a year old, so I'm not so sure how much it really counts." I said, laughing lightly. Only because it was true; I didn't even realize other people couldn't see them until I'd asked Remus.

"Oh, I'm sorry about that." George said, frowning. I waved him off.

"Don't be. Like I said, I was bascially still an infant so I didn't know her." I explained.

"So, who do you live with now?" He asked.

"I live with my godfather. He and his husband had adopted me when I my mum died." I said, thinking of Remus.

"Oh, alright. Do you enjoy living with them?" George asked. I was surprised at myelf for answering so easily. I don't even think I'd gotten this far into this particular conversation with Cho, let alone George.

"I do, yeah. Right now it's just me and Remus, so it's a little lonely but-"

"Remus as in Remus Lupin the Defense Against the Dark Arts professor?" George asked. I nodded.

"Yup."

"That makes a lot of sense actually now that you mention that. I figured you had known him outside of Hogwarts, a family friend maybe." I laughed, nodding.

"Yeah, he's actually my legal guardian."

"So how come just you and Remus?"

"Oh, erm-" I paused, thinking of what to say, "well, he, travels a lot for work, spends really long trips traveling." I said. It's what Remus used to tell me about Sirius's whereabouts when I was too young to understand where he really was.

"Oh, interesting! What's his line of work?" George asked as we pulled up to Hogsmeade.

"Erm," I tried to think of a believable answer, "he's an Auror." I answered as George offered me his hand while I stepped out of the carriage.

"Cool! What do you think you want to do when you grow up?" George asked. I exhaled softly, silently glad to be shifting topics.

"Um, I'm not really sure yet. Maybe something Astronomy. I'd quite like to teach maybe." I said, smiling. "What about you?"

"Alright, don't laugh," George said. I would never laugh at you, "Fred and I are trying to save up to open a joke shop."

"Wow! George that sounds amazing!" I gushed. George's unsure look crumbled into a smile.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah! Oh, that's perfect for the two of you. Now that you've said it, I quite literally can't see you doing anything else besides that." I exclaimed as he held the door to Zonko's Joke Shop open for me.

"Well-" George stammered, "that- Flora, that means a lot, really. It's just an idea right now really but it would be pretty wicked if it was something we could do." George rambled on about his plans and I watched, admiringly as he absolutely lit up.

We wandered around the shop for a while as George told me all about his favorite products, asking me what I thought, telling me more about his hopes for the future. When George exhaled heavily, smiling with a shy look, we fell into conversation about different funny stories about his family and having siblings.

"I wish I had siblings." I mused as George and I shopped around Honeyduke's. "It can get pretty lonely just Remus and I."

"What's it like having only one other person in the house?" George asked, placing a box of Berty Botts Every Flavor Bean into the basket I was holding.

"It's really quiet. Especially with Remus, he spends a lot time reading. And neither of us make much noise." I explained, reaching for a few Chocolate Wands. When I couldn't reach them, George laughed lightly, grabbing them for me.

"Thanks." I said, smiling.

"I can't even imagine having complete silence. There is never a moment of silence in my house." George laughed. I imagined the noise level of his house with so many people running around.

"I don't know how it would suit you," I said, honestly. George laughed, dramatically grimacing.

"I'm not know how it would suit you in my house either. But, I'd humour you." He said, bumping my shoulder. I smiled, face growing warm.

"I'd humour you too." 

~

Cutting off the chapter here i guess, felt like it was a good place to end i was running out of ideas. Update soon, don't forget like/comment/share. Word count: 962