star fragments

He was nervous. Out of all the things he could be nervous about, this was the one.

The linoleum beneath his Nikes' seemed to sway and mold further together as he dug his heel into it, trying to see if he could leave indents. His pair of light eyes scanned their surroundings for what seemed like the millionth time, before feeling yet again into the denim on his jeans and letting the brightness wash over his face. Nothing.

He didn't want to be a bother, y'know? It was already enough that this event, this moment he'd been dreaming up for so long was able to happen. Albeit, it didn't take too much convincing of his smaller friend, but even still. This in itself was a gift, a promise, a chance to finally hold his world in his hands.

Said hands resting against his pants dug in on themselves again, attempting to relieve the feeling of dread and excitement drumming inside of his chest. Moving away from his harsh grip when his knuckles had splotches of white, he shakily found a way to brush through his hair, shining a dirty gold underneath the LEDs of the airport.

The first moments had to be perfect; It had to be something that would be remembered for the rest of their lives, these few and delicate moments that would slip away within seconds after they happened.

And if it wasn't? What was it all for?

He knew he would be perfect; He always was. No, it wasn't the beautiful boy he'd known for years with a delicate face and hands, always so open yet so closed off, one that he'd wanted to reach out and hold and protect and keep for himself from the rest of the world.

He was worried about himself. The overwhelming dread of not meeting someone's expectations, the bars he strived to pull himself over with ease climbing higher and higher like a twisted carnival game chipping away until he can't hold on anymore. He looks different through a screen. He acts different through a screen. He is charming, and swift, and quick-witted through a screen, words being empty to those hearing them in VCs deep into the night. Hushed words with affection soaking from every word can seem muted and dim through a headset. You can't hide love and tenderness from your voice in real life, two feet away from someone who means everything; Who you'd do anything and everything to see smile just once.

He doesn't want to break him. He doesn't want to overwhelm him. He has to be perfect.

I'm overthinking this.

He allowed himself to open his phone, picking up the small weight, and feeling his stomach dance again as he opened it.

@dreamwastaken: Friends don't lie, so where the hell are you @GeorgeNootFound

—Reply from @GeorgeNootFound: still a simp. soon

Soon. Soon. Soon.

He'd read that reply three times at that point, each time hoping there'd be something more. A teasing picture, a DM, or anything . Another wave of anxiety crashed through him as his free hand tugged at the green fabric pooling at his hips. He tugged the edges, letting a thumb drag over the ridges- Anything to drag him away from the anxiety pooling throughout his body and-

A loud vibration rang through him as he frantically opened his phone again.

@dreamwastaken: Friends don't lie, so where the hell are you @GeorgeNootFound

—reply from @sapnapalt: OMG GUYS ITS HAPPENING

A laugh bubbled through his chest as a hand raised to cover his mouth. Sapnap really was something huh? He always managed to break the tension, even when they were oceans and states away from each other. The tenseness seeped away from the moment, as his hand found his way back up to his hair pulling at the blonde wisps. The pull on his scalp was oddly calming as the limb dropped away. Green eyes ventured down, watching him ghost his hand over his right wrist, feeling the thread just as a reassurance it was there. Always with him. Always a piece of him.