do you feel it (i know i do)

Night was falling fast, far quicker than he had wanted it to, despite the still deep blue sky hovering above him.

Dream wasn't doing awful per se, but he hadn't seen any of the hunters in longer than he was comfortable with, and with the looming presence of mobs coming out during the night, his heart rate grew by the second. It wasn't quite time for him to make a hide out in a cave just yet, and as he glanced through the forest he had supposed he needed more wood anyways.

Axe in hand, he quickly approached the closest tree to him, cutting logs and tucking them away to hopefully smelt into charcoal if he couldn't find anything else to burn in time.

His last run in with the hunters had been a while ago, the sun still new to the blue, slightly clouded sky, yet a part of him could still feel the place where Sapnap's axe should have cleanly sliced into his arm, only dodged by a pure stroke of luck during a turn. There was something so unique about the rush he'd get as he sprinted away from those he knew wanted to kill him; He'd never quite be able to place it.

That would be if he could stop getting distracted by a pretty hunter in blue always taking over his thoughts at the most inconvenient times.

Shaking his head he turned back towards where the sky was, taking one of the few fleeting moments he did have to enjoy the scenery to do so and let out a sigh.

A calloused hand found its way to pull at his roots, tugging the hair just enough to feel a sting.

His tranquility was broken when he heard a bow launch and a loud cry from nearby follow. His head whipped toward the sound, fingers instantly gripping his weapon tight as his eyes transfixed on the world around him.

Dream heard the sound of bones rattling and another cry that felt a little too familiar for his own taste. Before he could register what he was doing fully, his feet were wheeling towards the noises, climbing to the top of a short hill and peering over.

His eyes instantly narrowed at the sight below him; A half dead George in total disarray, blood dripping down his body, weakly fighting off two skeletons who could kill him at any moment if they please.

Without sparing a second to think, Dream slid into the grass in front of the brunet slumped helplessly against a tree, axe immediately swinging to cut through the pile of bones in front of him. It took very little effort to deplete the last of both their health, but that didn't make the adrenaline coursing through his veins and heavy breathing any less real.

His chest heaved as he stared at the bones and bows in front of him, his already overheating body yelling at him for not getting any form of proper break between intense work or labor

Dream turned over his shoulder to find a very frightened George curling inward on himself against the bark, eyes wide with concern and confusion. The blonde moved a gloved hand out for him to take only for him to cover his eyes and flinch away.

" Please don't, please don't kill me!"

Dream stared down at the boy in front of him, eyes filling with hurt at the remembrance that they were supposed to be trying to kill each other.

Him and George had always had an odd relationship. Not necessarily friends, George hunted him for fuck's sake, but not neccesarily enemies, a few close calls and supposed slip-ups being far too convenient for any normal condition. Dream had always felt a pull to the boy, wanting to protect him more than anything else. He was beautiful, to Dream, both inside and out.

"I'm not gonna hurt you, Georgie," Dream rasped out, voice tired yet full of true genuine care. The brunet slowly uncovered his eyes and let his arms fall to his side as he stared at the blonde above him.

Dream thought for a moment before giving his hand for the other to take.

"What- What are you doing?" George questioned, blood still splattered on his face and left arm red, completely dug into. Dream cringed and tried to look away from the wounds.

"Helping you. We need to clean you up, yeah?"

The air fell silent as George gently let his hand fall into Dream's much larger one. Their eye contact was far longer than it should've been, but neither could bring themselves to mention it or care.

The cave was torchlit, hues of orange and yellow making George's eyes and hair a beautiful shade of chestnut brown, sunflower seeds at his center.

Neither had spoken much as Dream walked the limping and frail boy into the cave before closing it off. That led them to their position now, Dream working steadily at patching the brunet's wounds in a dark cave shut out from the outside sunlight.

It was tranquil, the ambiance sounds of running water and pops of lava just beyond a few walls.

The blonde had been struggling to stay focused as the pretty boy with glassy eyes he was holding kept opening his mouth to speak or ask something, only to shut it in either a haste to stay quiet or to prevent further conflict. He was already on thin ice as it was in their awkward situation.

Dream wrapped the last bandage around George's arm, wound having been cleaned and patched up properly minutes ago. He had cringed inwardly at the hissing his (friend? enemy? lover?) acquaintance had uttered as he had to press into the harshest piece of ripped flesh to properly disinfect without the complete proper tools.

With one last wrap around he pulled his hands backwards, moving to stand up and send the brunet on his way, before he was interrupted.

"Dream?"

His heart pounded in his chest at the sound of the boy.

"Yes, George?"

George gulped, arms fidgeting with the hem of his shirt anxiously.

"There's- There's one more cut I don't know how to clean."

Dream raised an eyebrow quizzically and sat back down next to the boy again, anxiety radiating from all his features. Before he could speech, the bottom of the brunet's shirt was pulled up to expose gash along the curve of his waist, poisoning his supple pale skin.

Blood rushed to Dream's face, body tensing at the idea of running his hands over the boy in such an intimate way, gentle feeling the places that would send him spiraling most. His mouth ran dry, and all he could muster was a small nod.

The interaction was wordless, as Dream slowly moved the still damp rag from the place on his lap to George's waist, other hand settling on his hip. The eye contact was searing, and Dream could practically feel rather than hear the hitch in his breath when his grip had tightened.

Heavy brown eyes peered deep within him was he languidly cleaned the wound, filled with something he truly couldn't quite place.

It was a deep ache when he had to pull away, refusing to break their piercing gaze as he grabbed the bandages he had left, hands quickly coming to help wrap the material around the shorter boy's waist, each breath moving the skin with a subtle motion of life.

Dream had ended up much closer than he had intended to be or realized when he had finished wrapping his waist. An animalistic part of him had begun to wonder how pretty purple and red splotches would look against the same porcelain skin he had just been patching up.

"Done," He breathed out, warm breath heavy on the damp cave air.

Neither could breath as George's hand found its way resting gently in Dream's own gloved ones, sparks shooting through his veins.

As if he were made of glass, Dream brought George's hand up to his face, lips turning into his palm, pressing a soft kiss into it's marks, a metaphorical reminder of the unspoken feelings they had been made aware of.

Neither wanted to let go of the beautiful tranquility in the air, afraid to never gain it back again after they left the confines of the cave.

Dream brought the brunet's hand to his chest, splaying it over his heartbeat with both of his larger palms over the top of it.

"You get a ten minute head start."