Chapter Nine

Things on the beach had escalated so much that you had barely noticed the sunrise when it had happened. The two of you had been so wrapped up in one another that it took a while to notice that you could actually see one another, meaning others could see the two of you. 

Laughing like teenagers, you both had quickly collected your things and rushed back to Chris's car. Once you were on the road again, you both tried to compose yourselves. You couldn't do it. You didn't know why you acted this way whenever you were with him but it felt amazing. You felt happy. Complete. Like something had been missing all your life and you had suddenly found it.

Then the realization dawns on you and your laughter slowly dies to silence. Chris didn't live in Wisconsin, he was from Boston and lived in LA when he was working on major projects. You barely had your life put together and didn't know where you were going with it. How was this ever going to work out between the two of you?! 

You didn't want it to end, you didn't want to think about this just being a fling for a few months before he disappeared back to his world. You knew that you wouldn't be able to pretend that things were normal if this ended up being the case. You were different, he made you different (in a good way) and you didn't want it to change.

"Hey, you okay?" Chris pulls you back to reality, noticing your mood change. Immediately, he worried that he'd crossed the line with you back at the beach. Sure, you both had already crossed that line when you first met but he didn't know how comfortable you were around him. 

In the beginning, you both had liquid courage to push you on. Now you were just normal. Well as normal as it could get. Just Y/N and Chris. Suddenly, his own mind was racing. Had he just ruined things between the two of you? Had he pushed you too far and now you wanted nothing to do with him? He didn't want that, couldn't take that. 

The realization of what was happening to him hits Chris like a bus and it takes everything in his power to keep acting like everything was normal. He was falling in love with you. From the way your brows furrowed when you were thinking, your laugh, and god your eyes. Chris Evans was falling in love with you and now he had quite possibly ruined everything.

"I'm alright." After a few seconds of thought, you reply to Chris though it felt like ages had passed since he'd asked you. "Just a little tired, I didn't sleep well last night." 

"No?" He demands. You turn your gaze out the window, watching as small droplets of rain started to fall. You hadn't realized that it was supposed to rain today. 

"I've been thinking a lot lately." You admit with a small shrug. Chris was getting close to your street, maybe if you had the courage you could voice your thoughts and then run. Then he'd have the time to think or run away himself. You wouldn't have to face him and get rejected, you'd be able to pick yourself back up. Albeit very slowly and with a lot of alcohol.

"About?" Chris pushes. He was pulling onto your street now, though driving as fast as he could. This is the part where you would tell him that he'd ruined everything and that you never wanted to see him again. His heart already hurt, he just wanted to get it over with fast so you wouldn't see how much it affected him. If anything, he wanted you to be happy. If that meant Chris wasn't in the picture, then he'd just have to live with it.

By now, the rain was pouring outside, creating little puddles on the sidewalks and the street. Faster than you would've liked, Chris pulled into one of the parking spots across the street from your building. You take a deep breath and release it, it was now or never.

"I realized that you can't be here forever." You state, your voice barely over a whisper. "And that really hurts to think about because I don't want this to end." Chris stares at you with wide eyes, he hadn't expected you to say the exact opposite of his fear. Suddenly, sparks of hope grow in his chest, only to be extinguished by your next sentence. "But it has to."