Chapter One

12/22/18 - Past
The Story of Y/N & Chris
Wisconsin

You were a Christmas baby, which meant celebrations were always packed together. Family gathering for Christmas? Throw in a cake with some candles for your birthday. The shitty part was when you were little and still cared about gifts, they were combined for your birth and the holidays. 

This year, though, you were turning twenty-one and your college friends were taking you out a couple of days early to celebrate. You'd be home with your family after all and what celebrating could you do besides a glass of wine? Your very religious grandma would be there, which meant you couldn't get tipsy for the big day or you'd never hear the end of it. 

Sure, it was illegal to take you to the bars and get you so drunk you couldn't stand before you were officially twenty-one, but your worries slipped away right after the pregame with your friends. 

You were at least sober enough to realize that you were in an Uber, going somewhere. That was good enough, right? Your friend, Y/F/N (Your friend's name), slouches against you slightly while laughing at your best friend who'd put the whole thing together. He/She was moving to LA in a few days to follow their significant other on their 'journey of wellness'. You couldn't really remember what that meant at this given moment. 

"Y/N!" Your best friend yells over the music in the Uber. "How's it...how's it feel to live?!"

"Live?" You giggle. "I have been living! I am alive." 

"I'm alive but I'm dead." Another friend chuckles from behind you. "Alive but dead." 

"You know...be legally allowed to drink." Your best friend attempts to whisper but honestly doesn't come close. 

"I'm not..." You cough and lower your voice to match his/hers, doing the same as them with the whispering factor. "I'm not twenty-one yet!"

"Shhh!" Y/F/N whines while slapping both of your arms. "The taxi man will know!"

"You've already shared with me that she's not twenty-one." The young guy laughs while looking at all of you through his rearview mirror. "Don't worry, secrets safe with me." 

"He's the best magic man." Another friend mumbles from the back. The car pulls over, giving all of you the perfect view of the packed street. People were dressed in clothes that should've been at some large red carpet-type event.

"A-are you sure this is for the public?" You hiccup as everyone slowly starts to climb out. The driver yells a quick 'Happy Birthday', which you smile back in thanks, before driving away. Leaving your entire group of six standing on the sidewalk.

"Yeah!" Your best friend scoffs while waving you off. "It was on the internet, wasn't it?"

"That...that doesn't mean it's for us." Your other friend slurs, you point at him with an eyebrow raised. 

"Are we going to get arrested?" Your friend's girlfriend shrieks. 

"No!" Your best friend hisses. "Now shut up and follow me!"

Without waiting for someone to argue, he/she stumbles forward and all you guys can do is follow. Y/BF (Your best friend's name) saunters past the long line, straight to the two large security guards that were waiting for you. 

"Can we help you?" The man on the left questions, another hiccup leaves your lips as you try your very best to appear sober.

"We're here for the event," Y/BF announces while producing a piece of paper from his/her pocket. "I have an invitation." 

The woman on the right rolls her eyes before taking the paper, it was obvious that she was expecting something fake from the state you all were in. After a few seconds, her eyes widen slightly as she hands it off to her partner. 

"This is real." The man states in surprise before his eyes gaze over the group again. "You're actually allowed in." 

"Don't act so surprised, Jerry." Y/BF slurs. 

"My name is not...you know what? Whatever, enjoy your time here." The man shakes his head before stepping aside to allow you all in. You're all giggling as you pass the threshold and you don't even wait to question your best friend, despite both security guards still being within earshot. 

"H-how is that possible?" Your friend questions. "Where are we?"

"A cool club with cool people for my cool best friend's birthday." Y/BF lists off, counting their fingers. "Wait, I forgot a cool somewhere." 

"I've heard of this place." Your other friend announces. "It's like A-List type shit and they don't even card. I bet most of these people will buy us shots if we announce that it's Y/N's birthday!"

"Are we sure this is a good idea?" You question while stopping in the hallway, right before the main entrance of the club. "What if we get caught?"

"She's too sober." Your best friend tuts while wrapping his/her arm around your shoulders to drag you towards the entrance. "We're going to have to fix that, right now."