#6: Shock

"You know, Hisoka. I never took you for the type to take someone under your wing."

It was early morning. Machi and Hisoka were on their merry way to their prisoner's residence, hoping to find the man's wife and bring her back to the hideout for questioning.

Initially, Hisoka had wanted to go alone, but he couldn't deny that an additional helper wouldn't do any harm. Not that the mission at hand was anything near a challenge, but he didn't mind the company. If anything, Machi would probably look less intimidating to that woman. Maybe they'd even get her to follow them willingly.

"Not that it's any of your business~ but [Y/N] just so happens to be worth the trouble," the magician replied, raising an eyebrow. "Why do you ask?"

The woman sighed. "Well, up until recently, I thought you could never care less about your opponents themselves. But now you're actively caring for one? It's hard to believe."

"I'm training her. She'll grow to be stronger than most. Stronger than me, maybe~ you never know."

"Please," Machi replied, disbelieving. "From an outside point of view, it does look like you actually care. It's disgusting, really; seeing you show protectiveness over someone. Does the girl at least know that you're using her?"

"I wouldn't put it that way~ but for your information, we actually have a contract. She knew what she was getting herself into."

"Really?" the shorter one questioned in a sarcastic tone. "That's weirdly fair game of you."

"How rude. I'm a decent person."

"Ha. That's the funniest joke I've heard from you. What does the contract imply?"

The transmuter sighed. "I train and mentor her until she reaches her full potential, and once she does, we fight to the death. If she wins, she'll have gained powers beyond what she could have hoped for without me. If I win, I get to have the time of my life~"

"...And you will walk away from there without a single remorse about her death?"

"Of course."

"Do you honestly believe that, Hisoka?"

"...That's the house. We're here."

Before them stood a huge house designed with ancient architecture, so much so that it stood out against the other residences of Yorknew city. The front double doors looked uninviting, but neither of them was the type to get intimidated easily (or to be intimidated at all, to be honest). Silently, they climbed the steps of the porch, forced the door and walked right in.

"Something doesn't feel right, Hisoka..."

"I've noticed~ there's no feeling of aura, but perhaps the lady is using zetsu..."

Slowly, both spiders walked deeper in the house. The farther they went, the weirder it got. Abstract painting, creepy porcelain dolls, random mannequins.

It wasn't until seconds after that they noticed the real problem; vases knocked over, traces of blood on on a wall, signs of struggle.

That's when it hit them: they were too late.

The woman had already been kidnapped, and by someone who definitely wasn't in the troupe.