#11: Distrust

She had reacted fast, and perhaps a bit irrationally. Driven by panic and reflexes, it took her a fraction of a second to launch at her target and drag him down to ground level brutally, with nothing but her own hands.

As of now, she had him pinned down, his every limb matching with one of hers, so he couldn't move an inch. Breathing heavily, he was searching her gaze, looking for a split second to escape. Alas, there was none. Their respective strengths truly couldn't compare, after all.

Still, although helpless, Levi looked murderous.

"Get the fuck off of me!"

"Shut up, I'm gonna kill you!"

His gaze narrowed. "You monster. I don't know who or what you are, but you're not gonna kill me," he stated, still looking straight into her eyes. "You can't."

"I'd argue the opposite," [Y/N] replied, trying to sound as calm and composed as possible. "Wouldn't be too much of a hassle. I could do you the same as the bars on that prison cell."

"You can't," the captain repeated. "They'll know it was you. You think they're not gonna look for the only trainee who's ever beat me in a fight?" he questioned,  still cold as ice. "They'll find out, and they're gonna hunt you down. You can't have that. If you lose us, you're never gonna go back to where you belong."

"I bet I could find a way," she pressed, putting a little more pressure on the man below her with her body. "I like a challenge."

"If you could, you would have already. Face it, [Y/N]; you can't hide your real self any longer. There's nothing you can do about this."

At that, [Y/N] sat back a little, still not letting go. She was sitting on him, each leg beside his torso, as he looked up at her quizzically.

"Why are you so confident about that?" she inquired, lifting an eyebrow.

"Judging by what you just did to that titan, you would have killed us way back then if you didn't need our help."

She scoffed. "Maybe I just have a charitable, pitying heart for weaklings of your sort."

He made a dismissive sound. "Or maybe you're just a brat who has no idea what she's doing. I saw that look you had on the first night, you know. You knew you had to stick with us, for whatever reason."

A brief silence passed before the nen user spoke up again. "You seem awfully calm, considering what you saw. You couldn't have possibly known about this."

He shook his head. "I didn't, but I knew you were hiding something. Trust me, you're not getting away with this."

[Y/N] sighed, getting up and dusting her knees. "So what now? What do you want, Levi?"

He got up in turn, adjusting his gear and looking mildly disgusted by the idea that he was laying on the ground. "You're gonna use your witchcraft to help us right now. People are dying, and they need our help."

"Everyone's gonna see me."

"No can do. Unless you want them to want to hang you, you should get to work."

"Levi wait," she said, taking his arm to hold him back. "There's still a chance the general public hasn't seen what I can do. If you reveal this to everyone, the scouts will look really bad. You'll have to explain that you found me outside and that you've been hiding that fact from the government."