#12: Nen

"I'm not a witch, Erwin. I'm what we call a nen user."

Well, shit.

The commander's piercing eyes were looking directly into [Y/N]'s own sheepish ones, looking confused and curious, if not a bit unsettled. Besides her, Levi was sitting with his arms crossed, also waiting on an explanation.

She was sitting there, trying to choose the best way to put her thoughts into words. She was attempting to remember what it was like finding out about nen for the first time. There had certainly been a lot of confusion, and she wanted to make it as simple as possible for the men in front of her.

Ultimately, she sighed, putting an elbow on the desk. "Every living organism in the world emits some sort of life energy. There's always a fine, thin layer of that energy that floats out of the body at all times; the aura. It's what makes someone's presence so unique."

After a few seconds of silence, she sweat-dropped.

"For example, I'm not looking at Levi right now, but I can still feel him glaring daggers at my skull," she deadpanned. "That's because of his aura."

"Oh," Erwin said, eyes widening in comprehension. "Now I see."

[Y/N] nodded, continuing. "When you pass the hunter exam and get your hunter's license, you usually find a mentor that guides you through the process of learning nen. It's basically the art of controlling your aura to achieve a superior degree of power, and heightened senses."

"So it's magic," Levi bit out.

"No it's not," she retorted, gesturing with her hands. "It's taking control of your life energy. I literally just said that."

"I think I'm starting to understand," the commander stated, ignoring the conflict. "How does one take control?"

[Y/N] shrugged. "Well, depends on everyone. For most, it's a hard and long process. At the beginning, it's about meditation and learning how to feel your aura. Then, you learn basic techniques to expand and retract it. Then, you figure out what type of nen you have."

"There are different types?"

The spider could see that Erwin seemed interested, or at least very curious. Meanwhile, Levi seemed wary and disapproving, as if he was trying to figure out if she was spewing bullshit.

"Erwin, could you lend me some paper and a pen?"

After the man obliged, she began to draw the nen chart.

"Listen well because this is somewhat complicated," she warned. "There are six types of nen users. This right here," she pointed to the top of the chart, "is the enhancer. Enhancers use their auras to put raw strength into their bodies, or into objects. Following?"

Both men nodded.

"Emitters, here, detach auras from their bodies. Manipulators use nen to manipulate objects that already exist. Conjurers use it to create new objects. Transmuters, right there, change the qualities of their auras to match their techniques accordingly."

"What about the last one?" Levi asked.

The spider shrugged. "Specialists have no bounds and aren't related to the other types of nen. Look, this is how the chart works: as a nen user, you can master 100% of your own type, but it's possible to also master 80% of the types that are next to you. However, you only get 40% of the one that's opposite. Specialization, however, can't be touched by non-specialists. It's another thing altogether, with different rules depending on the specialist. Get it?"