#9: Humanity's hope, Eren Jaeger?

For the first time since landing in this godforsaken universe, [Y/N] was truly amazed.

Eren Jaeger, a teenager with the ability to turn into a giant monster, was currently transporting a boulder larger than several houses across Trost. Around him, dozens of titans were roaming, ravaging the town and creating upmost chaos.

The sight wasn't like anything she thought she would ever see, not even in the wildest quests she could think of. Although confident in her nen, she still couldn't shake off that nagging feeling of being indubitably out of place. That impression filled every fiber of her body as Eren groaned in his giant form once again.

Mindlessly, she kept doing her part to try and minimize the damage caused to Trost and its people. In a macabre pattern, she hooked and sliced titan after titan with her brain on autopilot. The ground was trembling, people were screaming, and [Y/N] couldn't hear herself think. She couldn't find a moment to use her powers, not even a split second; the number of soldiers had increased in concentration and anyone could see her at any time.

As she landed on a rooftop after sending to death a dozen monsters, she spotted Mikasa not so far from where she stood, serving her part alongside the Garrison officer named Rico. They looked to be doing mighty fine; decidedly, some people were actually capable.

The scout trainee sighed. Admittedly, the whole operation had been off to a rocky start, and that Rico soldier in particular hadn't seemed convinced of its success chances. Eren had lashed out, knocked himself out, and did just about everything he could've to render himself completely useless. If Armin hadn't figured his deal out, she would've sent an electric shock on him or something.

"Trainee! go help towards the remote areas!" boomed Rico's voice as she passed her to rescue another soldier.

Without questioning it, [Y/N] took off immediately, almost wishing her damned gear wasn't slowing her down so much. In the distance, she could see a boy cadet stuck firmly in the hand of one of these ugly creatures. By the looks of it, he'd be dead meat in a matter of seconds if she didn't get him out of there.

Has she landed on the nearby roof, she prepared herself to shoot her harpon into the beast's flesh. She gripped her device with her right hand and angled it appropriately, not wasting a second. However, as she pulled the trigger, nothing happened.

"Wha-" she said under her breath, taken by surprise. "Is it- Did I run out of fuel?"

With a quick look at her equipment, she was hit by a reality check. To her utter dismay, she was on her last, barely functional blades, and there wasn't any gaz left in her tanks.

"Ma'am please!" the cadet, whom she could now recognize as Daz, screamed at her in complete terror. "Do something, do something!" He yelled, his voice strained by the pressure that was put on his body. From where she was, she could make out the blood that was starting to coat his white undershirt.

Shit.

[Y/N] started to evaluate her options. The first one was to let him die to keep her chances of getting caught as slim as possible. She could just go off claiming that she had run out of gaz and blades right before she could save him, even pretend to be deeply traumatized about it. Granted, that went against just about every correct moral idea she could think of (on top of hurting her ego), but still: It's not as if she hadn't killed anyone before.

Then again, she had killed opponents, not innocent powerless teenagers by just standing there. Yet still, wasn't the sacrifice worth it?

"Ma'am please!"

The raw desperation in Daz's voice was disrupting her thoughts in such a way that she almost wanted to tell him to shut up.

"Even if I let him die for my sake," she murmured, thinking out loud. "I'm out of supplies, so I've gotta use raw strength and nen. What am I gonna do, let myself get eaten? It's not like they're gonna give me gaz in the heat of battle," she reasoned, getting rid of her useless metal equipment and throwing it from the roof.