05

I woke up before dawn, finding Mary just exiting her room as I was. Immediately, a smile formed on her face when she saw me.

"Oh, you're awake! Good morning dear." In reply I gave her a quick curtsy. "The other day I had forgotten that you have nothing to wear, I can lend you one of my dresses seeing as we're close in size until I am able to make you one." She handed me a folded black dress and a white apron. "Feel free to have a shower before we begin our day."

I nodded, using my memory to guide me to the bathroom. It was a nice small bathroom, with wooden floorboards, a basin and mirror on the left next to the toilet, opposite that was the bath that could also be used as a shower and above that was a long rectangle mirror that had white mesh curtains.

I didn't waste time. Quickly, I undressed and showered as the rays of sun began to peek through the curtains. I dried myself and dressed in the long black dress and long white apron that Mary had lent me. Once I had braided my hair into one so that it laid down the middle of my back, I accompanied Mary in the dining room where she was setting up the table.

"Do you know how to cook?" was her first question, to which I nodded.

"Great, well we can start with that." She moved towards the kitchen as she spoke, letting me trail behind her.

"Mister Arlington likes to change his meals up every morning, that is unless he requests to have the same food."

I watched as she pulled out a pan from one of the bottom cupboards.

"Can you cook the bacon and eggs."

I nodded, walking over so that I could take over. I listened attentivly as she explained where everything was, from plates to cups, pots, pans and food.

It wasn't long before I had finished my job and began learning from Mary how to brew Mister Arlingtons coffee.

"Also, breakfasts are spent together, dinners are too but most of the time Mister Arlington is too busy with work for dinner."

I admit, I was surprised. I wasn't accustomed to such ways. I had always been told to eat in my room, although I had been taught table manner by my mother. Lessons which were brutal and hurt to remember.

Mary and I had just finished serving breakfast when Mister Arlington strode into the room, as if he were on a tight schedule. He sat down at the head of the fairly large table, making Mary and I follow suit.

He didn't bother to acknowledge either me or Mary as he began eating, which encircled us in an awkward silence. Mary nodded at me when I looked at her for confirmation to eat. With a very delicate and eloquent technique — just as my mother had taught me — I began to cut into the food on my plate.

Only when he was finished everything on his plate did he address me.

"Angelica Whiting, correct."

I nodded, putting down my knife and fork.

"I am Tobias Castriel Arlington, but you can address me as Mister Arlington."

I turned to him and gave his a deep bow of my head in acknowledgment to what he had said.

"You don't talk much do you."

I lifted my head, looking at my plate of unfinished food.

"Remeber Tobias, she's extremely quiet."

"Ah, yes. That is the reason I bought you after all. It helps if I'm unaware of you, since I was forced into the decion of buying a maid."

"Tobias," Mary scolded, as if a mother a small child.

I ignored him, instead choosing to pick up my fork and roll a portion of scrambled eggs across my plate.

"Are you going to continue eating your food or play with it as if you're a child," he spoke firmly. My gaze darted from my plate to the cold expression on his face.

He was angry. But why? I hadn't done anything. Mary's words popped into my head. "Now I must warn you, he does have quite a temper and he can be cold but he is a good man."

A good man she says. That I have yet to see, although this is my first day here. But then again, it is so early into my arrival and his temper has already spiked.

I stood, picking up my dish and although nerve wracking, I collected his dishes as well before making my way to the kitchen.

It wasn't until I was out of sight of the dinning room that I heard him stand and explain to Mary that he had business to attend to and wouldnt be home until dinner. I started on the dishes, listening as he walked towards the entrance of the house and opened and closed the door. Mary joined me soon after his departure.

"Im sorry about his behaviour."

I shook my head dismissing it.

"I'll do those dishes, how about you go explore outside a bit and then I'll give you a tour of the house."

I hesitated, looking up at her from the dishes. She smiled and urged me to go outside as she pushed me aside from the sink. I gave her a curtsy as a sign of my appreciation before I walked to the exit, only then did I run out of the house, pushing past the gate and running into the tall grass without any consideration about my bare feet.

I ran until my legs gave out and I tripped, tumbling to a stop on my back with my limbs sprawled out. The corner of my lips pulled up as I tried to catch my breath. I laid there in the same position, looking towards the sky as I heard the sound of a car engine disturb the peace of the landscape.

Once it was gone, only then was I able to close my eyes and bathe in the sunlight and the sound of chirping birds and the sway of the grass as the soft wind danced through the strands. I stayed there for several minutes before I returned to the house.

Mary laughed at the sight of my tangles hair and ruffled clothes, I was stunned when she walked towards me and picked out the flower petals that had gotten stuck in my hair.

"Beautiful out there, isn't it."

I managed to shake myself from my surprise and nod.

"Im glad you like it. Well go clean up and then follow me and I'll show you how things work around here."

I nodded, walking towards the bathroom.