11

Dinner felt awkward with Mister Arlington knowing how I had met Gordon. The next two days he didn't even look at me, which had me concerned about my job position, this second chance I had received.

If I got fired I was on the streets, running from my past once again. I shook my head, unable to think of the horrific events from my past. Sighing as I stood from my position crouched on the ground, in the pantry.

Cleaning the whole downstairs was tasked to me as Mary cleaned all of upstairs.

I wiped the beads of sweat from my forehead, looking over the section of the pantry that I had just finished cleaning, completing my chores for the day.

As I admired my work the door suddenly shut behind me, leaving me in darkness. I paused for a moment, letting my heart race in my chest and beat in my ears before I quickly turned and practically jumped for the door handle.

The handle refused to lower.

With a sigh, I backed away from the locked door as I thought of a plan to get me out without calling for help from either Mister Arlington or Mary, after all how was it possible to lock yourself inside a walk in pantry cupboard.

I paused.

It wasn't possible to lock yourself in. The door would've been pushed by someone, but who?

I turned, feeling over the items that occupied the shelves in search for anything that could help me. I dropped to my knees, feeling around on the floor for the thin flat piece of metal I had found when I entered the pantry.

I perked when my hands clasped around the tool. Standing, I cautiously walked back over to the door, fighting off memories of being locked in a dark, bare room.

Inhaling a deep breath I got to work, sliding metal into the slight crack where the door met the wall. I moved it down to the doorknob, pushing the metal in until it no longer moved before tilting my end of the metal slab towards the door handle, allowing me more access to the lock.

With added force I bent the slab the opposite way, enabling the piece of metal to slip under the angled end of the slant latch and allow me to force the latch back into the door.

After completing the task I quickly opened the door, allowing light to shine into the pantry room. With a deep exhale I stepped out, looking around to search for a suspect, only to find nobody.

I didn't like the feeling I had in my gut. After all, why had that piece of metal been there in the first place? Was this planned? Maybe it was a test? But if it was a test, what was I being tested for? And who was the one overseeing the test?

"Is everything alright?"

I jumped, unintentionally letting out a forced amount of air as I whipped around to see Mister Arlington entering the kitchen.

He raised a brow at my reaction, causing me my face to flush as I regained my composure and nodded as if nothing had happened. I watched as his face turned into a slight frown as he looked at my hand, forgetting what was in my hand I looked down to observe what he was staring at, realising I still clasped the the bent metal in my palm.

"What are you doing with that?"

I waved my free hand in the air as if to dismiss the conversation, walking over to the bin and disposing of the metal.

He stood and stared at me in silence.

Despite my initial surprise I looked at Mister Arlington realising this was the first time he was addressing me even looking at me, since his talk with Gordon.

"Right. Well, where is Mary?" he spoke, deciding to dismiss the conversation.

I pointed in the direction of the door, hoping he knew that I meant outside in the garden. He gave me a curt hum, turning his back in me and walking out without anything more.

With a sigh I closed the pantry door before leaning on the counter, running a hand down my face.

Well at least it couldn't possibly be him that locked me inside, he looked absolutely clueless about the metal that was left inside the pantry.

I stood upright, making my way to Mary. If she wasn't outside it could've only been her, she was the last suspect.

I paused by the door when I witnessed Mary dusting the dirt off of her hands as she looked up at Mister Arlington as he spoke to her.

Not possible.

The two looked oblivious about the situation I had just been through. Maybe neither of them had locked me in but someone else?

But who?

~~~

During preparations for dinner I had asked Mary if anyone had come over — thanks to the help of pen and paper —  to which she answered with a concerned "no" before asking why I had asked. In which I simply shook my head.

"So," Mister Arlington spoke, pulling me from my chain of thought. Both Mary and I turned to Mister Arlington, giving him our full attention. "I have a few questions to ask you, Angelica."

I paused before nodding hesitantly. I watched as he pulled a piece of neatly folded paper and pen from the inside pocket of his suit, sliding it across the table towards me.

"I've decided that I'm not exactly comfortable with someone I have no understanding of live under the same roof as me, so go ahead and tell me a bit about yourself."

I frowned at him then down at the piece of paper. How was I supposed to tell him about myself without revealing my past?

I picked up the pen, letting it hover above the paper as I thought about what I was going to write.

A moment of silence passed, it would have been longer if it weren't for the sudden buzzing that came from Mister Arlington. He looked down, pulling his phone from his pants pocket before standing.

"I suppose this will have to wait."

With that he took his cane and left the room. In the distance I was able to hear the front door open and close, with Mister Arlington no longer around I let out a soft sigh of relief.