29

Mister Arlington stood silently watching me. A sound from in the kitchen caused by Mary's pottering, broke the tension of his stare.

"And you're sure about your decision."

"Yes, I'm sure."

"Well then, I suppose you should get ready."

"Re..ready? For what?"

"A..." he paused, taking a moment to find the right words. "Minor matter that you'll be helping me with."

"Already!"

"Quiet down," he warned, looking down the hallway, where Mary still pottered about in the kitchen. "Mary can't know about this agreement between us," he cautioned, turning to face me again.

"Why?" I questioned.

He stared at me, his gaze locking with my own. The intensity he held within his eyes forced me to break contact, looking at my feet instead.

"Nevermind that," he dismissed. "Get yourself ready. Once Mary is in her room, meet me by the car."

"Okay," I responded, my eyes still lowered.

"We'll discuss more about the agreement on our way..." he paused a moment, "And Angelica." At the sound of my name I raised my eyes. "Dont be nervous." With that as his last words to me he walked away, turning into the kitchen.

I wasn't sure if his last words were an insult or if he was trying to comfort me, either way I didn't linger on the thought, too busy processing what had just taken place.

I didn't even have time to think over my abrupt agreement to our arrangement, yet Mister Arlington wanted us to start tonight.

I sighed softly, closing the door as I turned and walked to my wardrobe. I had no idea what attire he wanted me to wear, which made the first few minutes difficult as I raked through my clothes. I settled with, a black skin tight jacket and a singlet underneath, paired with black leggings and running shoes.

If anything I looked like I was going for a run. Which I thought was a suitable choice if I were to be caught by Mary, or if another situation like last time broke out.

From my peripheral vision, the red scarf Mister Arlington gifted me was neatly folded in the corner of my wardrobe. Remembering Mister Arlingtons words a few hours ago, I pulled it out and wrapped it around my neck before pulling my hair into a high ponytail.

Not long after I finished getting ready, Mary retired for the night. It was oddly early for her to turn in for the night, leading me to believe Mister Arlington had a hand in sending her to bed.

I waited a few minutes after she had closed the door before leaving my room. As planned, Mister Arlington waited for me in the car. Once I was inside, I looked at him, waiting for him to explain what we were doing.

He looked me over, letting out a curt hum. "That'll do."

When he said nothing else, turning on the car instead, I spoke.

"Where are we going?" I asked, "what are we doing?"

"We're going to a casino to start our investigation."

"Investigation?"

He hummed in reply, pulling out of the driveway. "Since this is your first night we'll keep it simple, we'll only be watching our mark from a distance."

"And what is t..the reason for this investigation?"

He stayed quiet. When the silence drew out too long I gave up on receiving an answer.

"Why can't you j-just send your men to do this?"

"My men have been leaking information," he answered, almost reluctantly. From the way his voice hardened and his grip tightened on the steering wheel, I knew he was furious about the situation.

"You said men... So it's not just one person." It wasn't a question, but his silence confirmed my suspicion. I went quiet, regretting my words as I stared at Mister Arlington from my peripheral vision.

We had lightly touched this subject before, when it was my first time leaving the property with Mister Arlington. He had said that he dosen't trust easily because of the power he holds. I suppose this is why.

"About our agreement..."

"Yes?"

"I have some rules."

"Okay."

"Rule one, you are to never tell anyone about this arrangement. Rule two, you must listen to my every order and obey. Rule three, if someone were to find out about our arrangement our agreement becomes null and void. Do you understand?"

I nodded, reciting the rules in my head.

"Do you have any rules you want to add?"

"The only rule I have is that I will n-not use my body for intel, a distraction, or anything that involves sexual interactions with another person."

"I wouldn't allow that to happen anyway."

Well he still has some morals at least.

"Maybe, but it's be-better as a rule."

He nodded. "Alright then, nothing else?"

I shook my head in reply.

Mister Arlington turned his head, looking down at me. "I hope you understand what you have gotten yourself into."

Most likely my death. But going out guns blazing would be a lot more cooler and less pathetic than just killing myself. It wasn't the best way to use my second chance but I was finally excited about something.

"Maybe I should ask you the same," I whispered to myself, giving him a glance to see if he had heard me. If he had, he showed no sign of reacting to my words.