27

"Oh great your just in time for–" Mary started from the front door as she dried her hands with a tea towel, she stopped half way through her sentence when Mister Arlington walked past her without a word.

I ambled my way towards the door though much slower than Mister Arlington so that their was some distance between him and I, which immediately made me the target for questioning.

"What's wrong? Did something happen?"

"I was with Julian," I explained curtly , walking past her.

She let out a heavy exhale before turning and following me in.

"Mister Arlington dosen't do things without a reason Angelica, you have to remember that."

"Well there's no reason that I can't hang out with him just because they're suddenly not friends!"

"I can see your upset, how about we brush off this conversation, I just made some banana cake and laid out some cheese, grapes and wine."

I let out a sigh, composing myself as I did so before nodding. "That sounds l-lovely."

She smiled at me, "I noticed you're also getting better at speaking, that's amazing, I'm proud of you."

I nodded, not quite taking in her compliment.

"How was your time with your friend?" She asked as we made ourselves comfortable at the table.

"She's not my friend."

"But I thought?.."

"It's best if she doesn't get involved w-with me."

Mary sat silently for a moment before giving me a slow nod, "I suppose your right."

We didn't talk for long, after a cake accompanied by tea I told Mary that I was tired and excused myself. I stayed in my room, staring at the walls that surrounded me until I drifted to sleep that was plagued by nightmares. A sound just outside of my horrific sleep saved me from reliving things I rather wouldn't.

When I escaped my eventful sleep I practically jumped for the light switch by the door.

"Angelica... it's me."

Mister Arlington!

I controlled my erratic breathing before opening the door, just enough so that I was in the frame.

"Sir?"

Although Mister Arlington took up most of doorway, it wasn't hard to tell that it was after dark. I looked him over, noticing how he was dressed in a suit and held his cane in his hand.

"Are you heading somewhere?"

"Yes, but I just thought I should apologise for today before I leave."

I stood silently, surprised he would take out time to do so.

"I'm sorry, Angelica."

A silence passed over us, slowly becoming awkward with each minute that went by.

"Oh uh, thank you sir," I curtsied. It was obvious he wasn't used to apologising to anyone aside from Mary, however I didn't care enough to accept it. His apology was rather pathetic, but I didn't allow my thoughts to show.

He stepped back, showing that he was ready to leave but I was still recovering from my twisted flashbacks— my shaking hand on the doorknob was proof. Within a moment of noticing his retreat I found myself addressing him.

"Mister Arlington."

He stopped.

I don't want to be alone. I couldn't say the words of course, it would show that I was weak and unprofessional but there had to be another way.

"Are you in any rush?"

He seemed puzzled by my question for a moment before he answered, "No."

I stepped outside, closing the door behind me. "It's just... we never spoke about that day at the club."

"Do you have questions about it?"

"Well no..." think of something Angelica. "You never questioned anything about me?" No. Not that!

He looked slightly taken aback before he schooled his features.

"N-not that– um well," I sighed, "forget I asked," I stammered, my head falling as my face heated.

"Well, I certainly have curiosities, but the right time will come when those arise."

Some of my anger that was still active from earlier today dissipated, gratitude and something else... something new, taking its place.

"Though I do have a question for you."

I lifted my head, silently waiting for him to continue.

"If there was a job different to a maid would you take it?"

I paused thinking it over before I answered, "It would depend on what the job required of me."

"You would have to be intelligent, a quick thinker, act accordingly in certain situations and most of all you would have to know how to handle yourself... would you take the job?"

I frowned slightly, "Are you thinking of changing my position? Am I being sold again?"

"No you're not being sold again. But the job offer still stands, the choice is entirely up to you."

"What is this about? Mister Arlington?"

"Just have a think about it," he said before turning.

"I don't even know what the job is?"

He ignored me, walking down the hallway. I huffed out a sigh as I watched him walk out the door, only then did I return to my room. Unable to fall asleep again, I sat on my bed thinking over Mister Arlington's words.