19

The soft lull of jazz music invaded the black abyss I was in, urging me out of it's embrace. My eyes fluttered open a moment later, for me to be faced with Mister Arlington's back as he looked over the sea of heads below.

Realising I was on the leather couch he once sat on, I pushed myself upright. Mister Arlington turned towards me soon after hearing me awaken.

"Are you going to run?"

I shook my head.

"Good."

His cold gaze averted from me to something behind me, in the direction of the staircase. Provoking me to turn my head slightly, to be able to see the visitor.

"Julian, what brings you here?" Mister Arlington asked, unmoving.

"Hello, Castriel. I didn't know you were making an appearance tonight," Julian replied, ignoring Mister Arlington's question.

"It wasn't planned."

"Yes, well, I was in for the night and I saw Angelica come in with you. I thought i'd check on her after that terrible incident."

Julian's gaze turned to me, approaching me after a moment. My eyes darted to Mister Arlington, finding him watching Julian intensely. I suddenly realised how the connection between the two since their first interaction had become tense.

Julian closed the gap between us, sitting beside me. My breath caught when he left no space between us, his hand reaching out to light brush against my jaw.

He hummed as my face flushed under his touch. It was too dim to see all of his features but I noticed the corner of his lip turn up slightly when I unintentionally let out a small shaky breath, too low for Mister Arlington to catch but loud enough for both Julain and I to hear.

He pulled away, creating distance between us as he moved across the couch.

"Well, I can see you handled yourself well," he complimented me, turning to face Mister Arlington. "I assume now that she's here she knows about the business."

Mister Arlingtin nodded. "In fact, we were in the middle of a conversation."

Julian nodded before standing. "Sorry to interrupt, I'll leave you two then."

Mister Arlington nodded, watching Julian as he walked past me to grab the glass of whiskey.

"May I?"

Mister Arlingron gave him a slight nod. Julian winked at me before he ambled towards the staircase. Only when Julian was out of sight did Mister Arlington turn his cold eyes towards me, and I to his.

"I wouldn't dare."

I frowned, allowing him to see my confusion.

"Julian loves to seduce women to his bed, it's like a game for him."

Once again my face flushed as I abruptly stood, crossing my arms. I opened my mouth in order to tell him that it was nothing like that but only succeed in gaping like a fish, so I settled for the easiest word I knew.

"No!"

He raised a brow, "No?"

My face pulled into a frustrated frown at his condescending tone.

"I d...don..–"

"Whatever you say then," he interrupted, turning around to face the club. I sighed, dropping onto the couch. "Though, do take note, that I don't take lightly to those who I employ, fraternising amongst other staff."

I rolled my eyes, setting my elbow on the armrest before propping my chin atop my hand, as I looked through the glass railing, to the men dressed in fancy suits and the few women who adorned dozens of jewellery.

"Www.. What now?"

"Now you reveal a secret of your own."

I froze. My eyes drifting to the back of his head. He turned slightly, just enough for me to see half the corner of his mouth and part of his eye.

"I d..dont ha...ve s..ssecrets," I lied.

"Everyone has secrets," he countered.

"I c..cant, m...my wo..ords," I tried explaining, it was hard enough just trying to hold conversation with him as I was.

"Then you owe me a secret. When you can talk properly, of course."

"Fine," I muttered, half heartedly agreeing.

"One last thing before we leave... One of the men playing poker, he has a wife though he likes to dabble with other women, who is it?"

I raised a brow at his odd question, standing to take place beside him. My gaze skimmed across the sea of people until I stopped on the four men playing the card game Mister Arlington had mentioned.

One had a woman dangling off his arm. The man beside him looked older than the rest playing, possibly nearing his mid fifties. On the opposite side a younger boisterous man wore a fur coat and multiple jewels. Next to him stood a quiet man, who focused on the game rather than the conversation going on.

How was I supposed to find a married man that cheated on his wife?

"Why?" I asked.

"A test of sorts."

"For?"

"Answer the question, Angelica."

The first man I had noticed, the one with the woman on his arm. It couldn't be him, that would be the obvious choice, but I was sure it wasn't. Mister Arlington described the man to be a player with multiple women, these two looked at each other with affection, sometimes even offering one another a genuine smile.

Across from him was the man with the fur coat. I had immediately ruled him out, seeing as the guy was too full of himself, occasionally swearing at the dealer.

The quiet man beside him would have been hard to figure out had the dealer and him not been eyeing each other up.

Which left the old man, opposite of the quiet one. I hesitated, until I noticed the silver band around his finger as he placed his cards down.

"T..the oldest one," I answered, looking up at Mister Arlington to confirm. He inclined his head slightly, enough for me to know that I was correct.

"Come now, we best be on our way."

I frowned slightly. I had at least expected him to explain his reason for the test. Though, for whatever reason he hadn't, I respected his decision — with much annoyance — and didn't question. Instead, following him out.