18

My heart beat was rapidly rising, my face growing flush by the minute.

Mister Arlington refused to tell me where our destination was, which forced me to endure a silent ride into the city.

As for my growing anxiety, it had started when the amount of people surrounding us grew. Mister Arlington either couldn't sense my discomfort like Mary had or didn't bother to care.

Regardless, I exited the car as Mister Arlington had, after parking in an underground lot which was surprisingly empty, save for a few other expensive cars.

"I'd suggest you stay close to me, it's easy to get lost around here," he advised, walking away from the vehicle as the lights flashed indicating he had locked the car.

Our footsteps echoed as we walked, I didn't pay much attention as to where, rather examining the large expanse of the place. I was so preoccupied in doing so, that I had almost walked straight into Mister Arlington's back. If it hadn't been for the elevator doors opening, allowing him to walk inside I would've been forced to stand under his piercing glare. Though, because of his sudden movement I stumbled slightly into the elevator, playing it off as I walked to the corner of the luxurious box.

I had seen elevators in movies, though never as fancy as this one. Mirrors on all four sides, a soft red carpet and a black ceiling with dim lights. As I admired the interior, I watched Mister Arlington from my peripheral vision as he pulled a golden key from his pocket and placed it into a keyhole underneath multiple buttons for different floors.

When he twisted the key, my hands flew to the walls in an attempt to steady myself when the elevator began to move down — even though the motion of the departure had been smooth.

Hearing my slight struggle, Mister Arlington glanced over his shoulder, finding me suddenly stiff from my abrupt attempt to look normal before he had looked at me. He disregarded me, after his quick inspection, turning back around as he pulled the key from the hole and placed it back in his pocket.

"Dont talk to anyone, don't look at anyone or anything until we're on the other floor and listen to what I say, you look out of place enough as it is," he firmly ordered, mumbling the last part just before the elevator doors opened, allowing a wave of jazz music to enter the small box.

Once I laid eyes on the mass of flamboyant guests and the exquisite interior of the place I suddenly found it hard to obey Mister Arlington's rule not to look at anything or anyone.

"Follow me."

I did so with a tug at my scarf, suddenly realising how much Mister Arlington's mummbled statement was true.

Two men a few paces from the elevator entrance bowed as Mister Arlington approached, offering a single glass of whiskey on a silver platter, which he whisked off of the tray as he passed.

As I followed Mister Arlington, I became self consciously aware of the stares from around the room, quickening my pace so I was closer to Mister Arlington as we walked up a flight of stairs to a second floor that was unoccupied.

Which I found strange, seeing as the room below was crowded and not a soul occupied the floor we were currently on.

The floor provided a roof for a quarter of the room below and allowed us to have a birds eye view, almost, of majority of the floor below.

Mister Arlington sat in a leather couch — close to the glass that served as a rail — overlooking the dimly lit floor below as he swirled the amber liquid in his glass.

"W-w-what is t-this?" I ask, struggling to voice my words.

He sighed, placing his untouched whiskey on a glass side table beside the couch. "Seeing as Mary wouldn't tell you, I decided to take matters into my own hands."

I rounded the couch so I was in his vision, staring at him in confusion.

"Take a look, Angelica, and tell me what you see," he urged, holding out a hand to the flow below. I turned, examining the people below.

Some gambled, others spoke in shadowed corners, several laughed amongst each other, few drifted around and many watched others.

"A cl-club?" I answered, turning to him.

"Look closer," he prompted.

I turned back around to survey the crowd once again, looking closer as he said.

Men, there were lots of them, hardly any women. Alot of them I noticed were intimidating... And money, there was lots of it.

Unable to find anything else I turned back to Mister Arlington with a sigh, having enough of his game.

"Before Gordon changed his business into what it is today, he used to be a sex trafficer. One of the good ones. When I say that, I mean he repescted all of the girls. However, he was working inside my territory, so I approached him with an offer. Change his business or deal with the consequences... Do you see where this is heading?"

He didn't wait for me to answer.

"I own London, quite fankly I own most of England. Well, the underground side of things anyway."

"The Mafia," it came out a whisper, though he must have heard seeing as he nodded.

"Correct."

It explained his unusual wealth for his age, the power he held over people causing them to cower or practically bow in his wake, the bullet wound and multiple scars that covered his body... It explained so many things, that it had to be true.

"I suppose you can't blame Mary, it is a terribly lonely place. She was never allowed to live her life to the fullest, never allowed to have a family of her own. Instead she was stuck, taking care of my family..."

I can't breathe.

Mister Arlington was talking though I couldn't hear his voice.

I can't breathe.

My vision blurred moments before everything around me tilted. I felt the impact of the ground, though it didn't register to me as my world became nothing.