Chapter One

"...Teddy..."

"Teddy!" I open my eyes and see Newt hovering above me, grasping onto my shoulders and shaking me awake frantically and yelling. "Wake up! We gotta go!"

The helicopter noise is terribly loud, so I could barely hear him. Newt pulls me to my feet and holds my hand as we run outside the helicopter.

Two people in those black uniforms grasp our arms, but we remain holding hands. I turn my head around to see Thomas running back into the helicopter which makes me worry about him.

"WE DON'T HAVE TIME!" A man yells. But Thomas quickly returns.

I hear guns being fired and look around the dark night. Silhouettes of people appear on the hill behind us, each one being shot down by the bullets being fired.

Then I remember the video Ava Paige played, before she- um yeah.

"A deadly virus that attacks the brain." Then it showed a hideous looking human being, a zombie like creature.

"CRANKS!" Another man yelled before shooting into the horizon.

I barely have any time to observe my surroundings when I'm shoved inside a building along side my friends. I look around the place. I've never seen anything like it. Dozens of people running around, high ceilings, cars, weapons, you name it.

I have an uneasy feeling about it though.

"Hello."

I nearly jump out of my skin again at that word. I look up to see a man facing our group. He's already giving off a weird vibe, and my initial thought was that he looked like a rat. Not to mention he's smirking weird.

I feel a nudge on my arm. Minho. "I already don't like Ratman," he says.

"Great minds think alike," I whisper back.

"You kids doing alright?" the man finally says. I hesitate to answer him, and end up keeping my mouth shut. Nobody responds. "Sorry about all the fuss. We had ourselves a bit of a swarm."

"Who are you?" Thomas asks.

"I'm the reason you're all still alive, and it's my intention to keep you that way. Now come with me. We'll get you kids squared away."

I'm a bit hesitant to follow the strange man, but Newt gives me a reassuring look.

"You can call me Mr. Janson. I run this place. For us, it's a sanctuary, safe from the horrors of the outside world. You all should think of it as a way station. Kind of a home between homes."

"That mean you're taking us home?" Thomas asks.

"Home of sorts. Sadly, there won't be much left of wherever you came from. But we do have a place for you; a refuge outside the Scorch, where WICKED will never find you again. How does that sound?"

"Why are you helping us?" Thomas asks another question.

"Let's just say the world out there is in a rather precarious situation. We're all hanging on by a very thin thread. The fact that you kids can survive the Flare virus... makes you the best chance of humanity's continued survival. Unfortunately, it also makes you a target, as no doubt by now you've noticed."

He stops in front of a door.

"Beyond this door lies the beginning of your new lives. But first things first- let's do something about that smell."

~~~
Ahh first chapter done! I wanted to post it earlier, but I never got to it but that's alright. Hope you enjoyed!

Also do you like long or short chapters?