Chapter Nine

"Newt how could you give it to him!?" I scold Newt through sobs after I've caught up to him.

He turns around and faces me. His eyes have tears in them. "Teddy he's suffering!"

I wipe my nose and blink back my tears. "I know... but I'm... I don't want him to go..."

"I'm sorry..." he murmurs as he pulls me into his arms. Once I'm in his arms there's no point in trying to hold in my tears. As soon as I'm in his arms

My nose rests scrunched up on the top of his shoulder and I wrap my arms around him, tightly holding him.

It may be boiling in heat outside, but I felt cold until I was in his arms.

"Guys... let's get going..." I release my grip and turn to Thomas who had just spoke.

Before I can pull away from Newt completely, he puts his hands on my shoulders. "Hey... Teddy listen to me..."

I nod, and sniffle.

"Everything is gonna be alright..." he cups my face with his hands and wipes away my fallen tears. "You've got me... I'll always be here for you."

I open my mouth to speak, but I just smile instead. I'm completely at a loss for words. I couldn't have asked for a better friend. Newt literally means everything to me. I would do anything for him, and I know he would do the same for me.

"I love you," I whisper while pulling him into a small hug.

"I love you, too."

~~~

Then we off, following Thomas once again. But this time feeling sad and empty. My heart aches thinking about just leaving Winston there to kill himself. I wish I could fix everything. I wish I could live a normal life, whatever that might be.

When a gun shot rings through the air we all stop in our tracks.

I take a deep breath and squeeze my eyes shut. There's no doubting my heart broke into another piece. Just like it did with Chuck, Alby, Zart, Jeff and all my friends. Each thought of memories saddens me. The best thing about memories is making them, no question to that.

If there's one thing I've learned during the life that I can remember, it's that hearts are made to be broken.

After the sound whistles through the air for a minute, we start to walk again.

~~~

We found a place to rest and decided to camp out there and spend the night. We even started a fire, it's gotten very cold since this afternoon.

I'm sitting next to Frypan on a log, and no one is talking. But I prefer it this way. I have no energy for anything else. I have no energy to place a fake smile on my face or to even wipe aaah my dried tears.

Aris comes over with some fire wood, and sits next to Newt and Teresa.

"I thought we were supposed to be immune," Minho says. He's the first one to speak since we decided to camp out here.

"Not all of us," Teresa says quietly.

Great. Another thing to worry about.

"If Winston can get infected we should assume so can the rest of us," Newt mentions.

"I never thought I'd say it..." Frypan starts. We all turn to look at him. Tears pour out of his eyes, making mine come. "...but I miss the Glade."

I rest my forehead on his shoulder for a minute before standing up and walking away from the fire. I lay down and roll over on my side, just wanting sleep to take over.

~~~

Hello again.

I'm so sorry this chapter is hella short but I had terrible writer's block omfg. I'll most likely update tonight though so don't worry.

Thanks for reading, I hope you like it.
Also I'm so excited for an upcoming part so be prepared🤭😏