I Promise

Hey Bad Batchers! I'm gonna call all of you that unless you think of a different name. Put it down in the comments to let me know! Anyway this is my first story here and I'm super excited. This is gonna be all Hunter and Omega oneshots. By the way none of these will be in chronological order. If you have an idea, please let me know down in the comments and don't forget to follow me! :)

 This one takes place after the Bad Batch rescued Omega from Cad Bane. (Episode 9 in the series.)

Hunter POV

I failed her. I completely failed her. I let her get captured. I can't believe myself.

"Hunter we got her!" Echo called.

I shook those thoughts from my mind as I hurried over to the hatch where Wrecker lifted Omega out of it. 

"Aw! good to have you back, kid." He wrapped his arms around her. 

They pulled away from each other. Omega looked up at me with tear-filled eyes and buried her face into my side. A sharp pain shot through me due to my injury. She cried harder. I kneeled down to her level and put my hands on her shaking shoulders.

"Are you okay, Omega? Are you hurt?"

Tears fell down her face. "Why is this happening? Why are the Kaminoans after me?"

Echo came up behind her and looked me in the eye.

"Hunter, you have to tell her."

I returned my focus back to Omega and sighed.

"You're...valuable to them. More than all the other clones. Even more than us. You're different."

"Different? How?" 

I sighed. This was a lot on her. 

"Come on, let's get those binders off you." I said, as I grabbed a tool to get them off. 

As soon as the binders fell to the floor, she wrapped her arms around my neck and continued to cry. 

"Shhhhh, you're okay. You're okay. You're safe now," I comforted her.

Despite my pain, I picked her up the best I could. Tech saw me.

"I would suggest trying to avoid lifting weight in your condi-"

"I don't care, Tech. I'm doing this for her." I cut him off. 

He knew he wouldn't be able to change my mind and walked away.

I carried Omega to her room and gently lowered myself and her into the chair.  She laid her head on my shoulder and I adjusted her weight to my right side to try to ease the pain in my chest. She continued sobbing. 

"Shhhh, Omega. It's okay. I've got you."

After a while, her tears slowed but didn't stop. That's when she spoke.

"Make them stop coming for me. Please," her voice cracked. 

That broke my heart to hear her say that.

"I know. We're trying. I won't let you get taken again, I promise." 

I held her tighter and she curled up closer to me. I murmured comforting words to her until she fell into a light sleep about an hour later. I smiled. The lights in her room cast a soft, warm glow on her small form. I got up slowly. The pain from my injury felt like an inferno now but I ignored it the best I could. I laid her gently on the chair. She stirred.

"Hunter?" she whispered softly. 

"Shhhhh, go back to sleep." I stroked her head softly until she did. "Goodnight Omega." 

I draped a small blanket across her and closed the curtain dividing her room from the rest of the ship. I sat down in the cockpit to take the first watch. It was technically Echo's shift but I wouldn't be able to sleep. He came up to me moments later. 

"Hey. How you feeling?" he questioned.

"It's not me I'm worried about." I replied, not making eye contact. 

There was a moment of silence between us until he said, "Is she okay?"

"To be honest, I have no idea." I confessed. "let her get taken and I'm going to make this right."

"Hey hey hey. No. If this is anyone's fault it's all of ours. We're a team. We're in this together." 

"Yeah. I guess you're right."

"I'm always right." he smirked.

"Sure about that?" I joked. "Anyway, if you want to get some rest I'll take your watch tonight."

"You sure?"

"Yeah. I'm not going to be able to sleep so go ahead."

"Okay. Goodnight." he said.

"Goodnight."

I sat there, watching the stars until an hour later when I heard light footsteps coming towards me. Omega sat down in the chair to my left and drew her knees up to her chest. 

"Can't sleep?" I asked.

"I keep thinking about the Kaminoans. Seeing that place-" she shook her head as if to remove the memory from her mind. Her eyes filled with tears. "I don't want to end up an experiment in a tube."

"That's not going to happen," I replied. I would make sure of it.

"If I'm as valuable as you say, Lama Su will keep sending bounty hunters after me."

"He can send everyone in the galaxy," I said, looking into her brown eyes. "You have us."

"You can't fight them all," she murmured sadly and looked away. 

I moved closer to her and knelt down to her level. I forced her to look at me.

"Omega, you don't have to worry. You are never going back to Kamino."

She moved her gaze to the floor then back up at me. "Promise?"

"I promise."