Strong

So like I said earlier, I wanted to do more one shots with the rest of the Bad Batch. So here's one with Echo and Omega! It takes place when they're leaving Daro in episode 14. I really like Echo's perspective so I'm doing that again and might do it more in the future. Anyways, enjoy! :)

Echo's POV

She nearly jumped. She would have without hesitation, if I didn't pull her back. She continued crying Hunter's name as he fell down the mountainside, supposedly to his death. I pulled Omega inside as the consoles blared without end.  

"Multiple system failures. We cannot take many more hits!" 

Tech maneuvered the ship through the blaster fire while Wrecker shot the ships down.

"Get the ship out of here," Hunter's voice rasped over the comms. "I'll find another way back."

"Negative. The odds of escape are not in your favor," Tech countered.

"Go Tech! That's an order!"

Tech placed his hand on the lever, but hesitated. He never hesitates. Ever. He pushed it forward and we flew up into the atmosphere. 

"No! Turn around! We have to go back for him!"

Tech and I glanced at each other, unsure of how to tell Omega that we can't go back.

"Hunter, tell them to come back! Order them to come back!"

Her voice. So desperate, so broken. She cried harder as Hunter's voice came over the comms again. 

"Sorry, kid. I can't do that."

The comms cut off to static as we entered hyperspace. 

"Contact Rex, tell him we rescued Gregor. I'll go talk to Omega."

Tech nodded and I stood from the copilot's seat. I walked over to Omega, who was curled up against the wall, shaking and crying. I kneeled in front of her. 

"Omega?"

She looked up with tears dripping down her face. 

"We have to go back! We can't leave him there!"

"Omega, we have orders. We can't disobey them."

"But we can't just leave him there! Don't you care?!"

"Of course I do, Omega, but it's out of our hands."

"What if they kill him?! I can't lose him!"

She cried harder, more out of anger now. She stood up quickly and held her ground.

"Go back for him!" 

I didn't know how to comfort her. I was designed for war. To be a killing machine, essentially. Not taking care of a child. I pulled her over to the side and forced her to look at me.

"Omega, listen to me.

She shut her mouth and looked at me with tear-filled eyes.

"Hunter's going to be okay." I said slowly but firmly, making sure she heard every word. 

She nodded, turning her gaze away, clearly embarrassed about her outburst. 

"C'mere," I said with a gentler tone and pulled her into a hug. She buried her face into my shoulder, breaking into little, hiccupping sobs. Her whole body was trembling.

"I don't want him to die," she whimpered, voice cracking.

"I know, I know. He won't. Hunter's strong, and so are you." 

"We have to get him back."

"We will, I promise." 

I held her close to me, rubbing her back until she calmed down. She pulled away and mustered a small smile, wiping her tears with the back of her hand. 

"Okay. I'm okay now," she said quietly, voice strained from crying. 

"I know you are." I smiled and led her back into the cockpit. She crawled onto the copilot's chair and drew her knees to her chest, avoiding eye contact with everyone. 

"We're heading back to Ord Mantell. We will devise a plan to rescue Hunter when we arrive," Tech informed Omega and I, tapping away on his datapad. 

"We'll have to do some repairs and get some supplies before we make a plan," I said. I looked toward Omega who continued to stare out the window at the stars whizzing by in hyperspace. Her lower lip wobbled and the blue tint of hyperspace reflected in her teary eyes. I crouched down next to her and placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. Her tears started rolling down her cheeks. 

"We need to go back for him," she whispered, voice shaking. 

I sighed. "We will, Omega. We need to fix the ship or we won't be able to."

She nodded at looked down at the floor.

"Omega, we all want him back. Hunter will be okay. We just need to be strong, you think you can do that for me?"

She looked up and met my gaze. "Mmhmm."

"Good." I smiled and helped her off the chair. "Let's get you to bed now."

She took my hand and I led her to her little room. I helped her sit down on the chair and tucked her in with her blankets. I didn't have to but I could tell she appreciated the gesture. She silently pointed towards Lula and her trooper doll. I grabbed them and gently tucked them in next to her, but she grabbed her trooper and hugged it tightly to her chest.

"Thank you," she whispered. 

"Of course. Get some sleep now." 

She nodded and closed her eyes while I wiped the remaining tears off her face. I sat back and watched her breathing deepen as she relaxed. She was nearly asleep when she cracked her eyes open to make sure I was still here. 

"I'm here, it's okay. Go to sleep."

She nodded sleepily and closed her eyes. I grabbed her hand and gave it a small squeeze. Moments later, her breathing evened out and she fell asleep. I kissed her forehead softly.

"G'night sweetheart. Stay strong for me."

Sorry about taking a while to update. School just started on Monday and I've been so exhausted, but I had no homework today so I had time. Anyway, hope you liked it! :)