Needles

This takes place when they leave Saleucami in the beginning of the season. Enjoy! :)

Hunter POV

I woke with a start. Something had woken me up but I'm not sure what. I wasn't used to deep sleep like that. I looked around the dark room and counted off each of the team. 

Three.

I nearly forgot that Crosshair was no longer here. That would take some getting used to. Guilt surged through me as I rolled onto my side and tried to fall back asleep, but that nagging sensation in my mind wouldn't let me. 

Omega!

I got up quickly and moved towards Crosshair's old bunk, where Omega has been sleeping. She wasn't there. The blankets were still warm, radiating heat into the surrounding area, so she had gotten up recently. I figured she was out in the cockpit, watching the stars, but she wasn't. I heard a sniffle come from the refresher, then another. I tread quietly towards the refresher door and knocked on it lightly. 

"Omega, you in there?"

There was a moment of silence, followed by more sniffles, before she gave an affirmative 'uh huh.'

"Can I come in?"

"Yeah," she croaked. 

I opened the door and found Omega's tiny form curled up against the wall, knees drawn to her chest to hide her face. I kneeled down beside her and stroked her hair softly.

"What's wrong?" I asked gently.

She sniffled some more but otherwise remained silent. I tucked my hand under her chin and gently tilted her head up. Her honey brown eyes were glossy with tears, and her cheeks blotchy and red. She felt unusually warm, too.

"Are you sick?" I asked, mad at myself for not noticing it earlier. 

"I- I don't know. I think so," she replied quietly.

"Let's bring you back to bed and Tech can help you feel better, okay?"

She nodded and let me carry her back to our bunks. I placed her gently down on mine and woke Tech up.

"C'mon Tech, wake up." I shook him.

He grunted his response and rolled over. 

"Tech, come on. Omega's sick."

He cracked his eyes open and darted them between me and Omega sitting on my bunk. He rubbed the sleep from his eyes and slid his goggles over his eyes. He picked up his med scanner and kneeled beside Omega. The results popped up a minute later. 

"Basic flu. She has a slight fever, but she will recover with rest and medication. She has lived in Kamino's sterile facility her whole life. Therefore, her immune system has not been exposed to any illnesses. I will go acquire some meds for her." 

 Tech left the room to go get the meds, leaving me and Omega alone. He returned with the medication. Omega's eyes widened in fear as she saw that it was in the form of a syringe. 

"Alright, Omega. Hold still and I can get this medication into your system."

"No... no needles," she whispered. 

"Omega, this will help you feel better," I reassured her.

"No."

She scooted back towards the wall, attempting to escape.

"Omega-"

"No!"

She was hyperventilating at this point, backing farther into the corner as if she could push her way through. 

"No, stop!" 

I gave Tech a panicked look and silently waved him away, seeing that Omega wouldn't calm down. I scooted closer to Omega, trying to give her comfort.

"No, I don't want it! Get it away!" she cried.

"It's okay, you don't have to. C'mere."

"No, please... no." Her voice broke and she started crying harder. 

"Omega, I'm not going to hurt you. It's okay."

I held out my arms, offering her some form of comfort. 

I can't do this, I'm not meant to do this. I don't know how to help her.

My doubts were washed away as Omega crawled into my arms. She gripped my blacks tightly and continued crying. Her heartbeat pounded against my chest as she shook.

"Shhhhhh, we won't give it to you if you don't want it." I cradled her head to my chest, holding her tight. 

"I-I don't like needles," she whimpered.

What did they do to her? 

I remembered the tests that they performed on me during my cadet years. They would see how high frequencies I could hear. I would stagger back to our bunks afterwards and collapse in pain. Wrecker was usually the one who held me until the pain subsided. 

I tightened my grip on Omega, hoping to give her that same comfort. The silence of the room was calming, only the sounds of the others' breathing and Omega's sniffles interrupted it. Omega began to relax and drift off to sleep. I smiled and stroked her hair gently. 

Tech stood in the doorway, holding up a glass of water and some meds for Omega, but in the form of tablets this time. I nodded for him to come in. He sat on the edge of the bed and held the meds out in his palm.

I gently shook her to wake her up a little more so she could take the meds. "Omega? Tech has something to make you feel better." 

She cracked her eyes open, still a little afraid. She saw that they were tablets and placed them in her mouth. I helped guide the cup to her lips and she drank most of the water before she pulled away and laid down. I handed the cup to Tech and laid next to her. She moved closer to me, already falling asleep again. I pulled her in to my chest and rubbed my hand on her back. 

Omega was asleep for hours as I stayed up. My thoughts raced through my mind. What if I can't take care of Omega properly? She deserves a family- a real family. Not just some clone deserters hiding from the new Empire. But she made it clear that this is where she wanted to stay, with us. So stay she will.