Chapter 24

They went to a drive thru, but when Cooper asked Sasha what he wanted, Sasha just looked blank-eyed, shrugged his shoulders, and repeated, "Burger," so Cooper ordered a bunch of combo meals. He hoped Sasha really did want to do this and wasn't just going along with it because he was bad at saying no. It was hard to tell sometimes.

He didn't let go of Cooper's hand, though, and Cooper took that as a good sign. Especially when he brushed gentle fingertips over the back of Cooper's hand with his other hand.

They drove to a scenic spot along the river near a ferry stop that was lit up at night. As they headed out onto the grass, Sasha quietly took hold of Cooper's hand again.

Ellie took one look at the two of them, grabbed a couple of the bags of food, and tilted her head towards the walkway along the river. "Well, boys, I think me and Abra are going to go for a walk along the river. We'll be back in, hm... half an hour?"

Cooper gave her a smile. "Subtle."

She tossed Cooper the car keys. "In case you need anything. Be good."

"Mmhm," Cooper said as she walked off with Abra. Cooper guided Sasha down onto the grass and finally let go of his hand as he started taking the food out of the bags and laying it out on the empty paper bags. "She's just giving us some time to talk. I don't want you to think... I don't know."

Sasha just looked confused. Right.

"Anyway, we have, uh... some burgers. Chips. Some of these chicken pop things. Is that okay?"

Sasha nodded as he grabbed a few chips.

Cooper shut his eyes and just enjoyed the quiet for a moment. There was something about Sasha that brought him peace. "I missed you."

"Oh. Sorry I'm not..." Sasha gestured vaguely with the chips. "I'm not used to, uh... leaving my house at all, I guess."

"No, man, I get it, trust me. The fact that you're here at all... I know that doesn't come easy. I appreciate that you'd do that for me."

"I wanted to see you. I missed you, too."

Cooper couldn't help the smile that overtook his face. "Yeah?"

Sasha nodded. "Even though I don't see you that much, I like being able to hear you through the walls and just... knowing you're there."

"Ah, and here I was feeling bad at being the obnoxiously loud neighbours."

"The ones that play loud music or get angry and shout are obnoxious. You're just... happy sounds. Laughing and having fun."

"Well, you're free to join us any time, you know?"

"Mm."

"Don't worry, I get it. I know that's just how you are."

Sasha nodded. "Do we have any drinks?"

"Uhh... shit. No, we don't. Ellie must have taken the bag with all of them."

"Oh."

"They'll come back in a bit."

Sasha pressed his lips together and looked away. "Mm..."

"Not okay?"

"I just don't like eating when I'm thirsty," Sasha said, the tension in his shoulders suggesting this was something he cared more about than he wanted to let on.

"Let me check in the car, okay? There might be a bottle of water or something."

Sasha nodded, so Cooper jogged over to search the car. He really wanted to keep things comfortable for Sasha. So far he seemed to be doing okay, but he'd noticed just what a delicate tightrope the man walked with his emotions. No wonder pushing himself made him so anxious. When small things could cause you such deep and lasting stress, you couldn't really afford to take risks all the time or tolerate people who had no respect for the vulnerable position you were in.