Chapter 56

After a brief house tour, Abra, Ellie, and Sasha had immersed themselves in kitchen work, with Bianca's guidance on where to find everything. Meanwhile, the three brothers and Abigail had retreated to the deck, awaiting their mother's arrival. Cooper lay on Abigail's blanket, gazing absentmindedly at the sky as Abigail's tiny, grasping hands did their best to yank out his hair.

The sound of a car pulling up in front of the house caught his attention, followed by the clacking of women's shoes ascending the stairs and a flurry of excessively polite greetings. As Abigail was lifted from the blanket, a few strands of Cooper's hair were liberated from his scalp in the process.

Cooper sat up, running his fingers through his hair to tame the unruly strands. His mother, however, was preoccupied with the baby in her arms. "Oh, look at you!" she cooed, bouncing the little girl gently. "Your daddy didn't even dress you up in a pretty little dress for the party! It's a good thing Grandma came prepared with some special outfits just for you."

Logan offered her an indulgent smile. "That's precisely why I didn't bother dressing her up myself."

From his spot against the deck railing, Mason watched them, his face etched with unmistakable hostility. "I've heard you've gotten better at giving gifts, but if you think a baby wants dresses, I have my doubts."

"Ever the ray of sunshine, Mason," their mother remarked. "I'm well aware that the dresses are for my own enjoyment. Babies don't want dresses. They want everything and nothing, all at once. As my real Christmas gift to her, I've set aside some money in an investment for when she's older."

"I can't even give you shit for that. The beautiful might of compounding interest is an excellent gift. I hope my gift is also money that's been invested for me since I was a baby."

"Well, maybe not, but I think you'll like it anyway."

"Hm," was Mason's only response, his expression clearly sceptical.

And Cooper!" their mother exclaimed, leaning down to give him the best one-armed hug she could manage while holding a baby. "Are your roommates here as well? I brought gifts for everyone!"

"They're here," Cooper said.

"Sasha, too?"

"Sasha, too," Cooper confirmed.

"Oh, good. I didn't get much of a chance to talk to him at the wedding. It would be nice to get to know him better."

Cooper tried to keep his reaction to that statement off his face, but he wasn't sure how successful he was. "He's shy, mum."

"And if you upset him, nobody will ever forgive you," Mason added. "It's not worth it. Leave it alone."

"I wasn't going to do anything to upset him!" their mum protested, setting Abigail back on the blanket as the little girl began to squirm and fuss, clearly bored of being held. "I can be nice."

"Uh huh," Mason said, his tone dripping with scepticism.

"I can! I haven't said anything unkind to anyone since I got here, have I?"

"Mum, it's been two minutes," Mason pointed out. "Being nice for two minutes shouldn't be considered an achievement."

"Well, let's see you do it," their mum retorted.

To Cooper's surprise, a smile tugged at the corners of Mason's mouth. "Fine. If you're going to play nice, I will too. But only for as long as you do."

"That sounds lovely. And, because I'm such a nice person, I'll even forgive you if you falter."