WORTH WAITING

There were rumours through the streets that the Bluebeard household was once long ago cursed by a witch. The curse was the wife of the eldest son of Bluebeard will always be victim of an unknown disease and die.

The rumour came in handy when killing his wives. No one even suspected him, thinking it was the effect of the curse.

Bluebeard sipped his tea with a calm manner, as he watched his wife sip the poisoned tea.

The poison had always come in handy when killing his wives. The poison disguised itself as an unknown disease with no cure.

"The ball last week was delightful, wasn't it, my lord?" Elizabeth said, as she admired the garden's view.

"Indeed, it was delightful," Bluebeard agreed but there was only one person who made the ball delightful to him.

Noel James.

Ever since they met. Bluebeard had been searching for excuses to be around him.

Bluebeard invited Noel to hunting parties and watch Noel clumsily stumble over pebbles and help him. He invited Noel to every kind of gathering, he attended.

As long as Noel was around, Bluebeard had a strange urge to capture the beauty and hide him from the world. He became alive when Noel was around.

"My lord, do you have any plans for the evening?" Elizabeth asked.

Bluebeard nodded.

"I made plans to met with a friend."

Both husband and wife enjoyed their afternoon tea.

Bluebeard looked around the garden and wondered what Noel could was doing right now.

Paint splattered against the floor in his frustration. Noel stared at the mess and frowned. He had been painting to pass his time but the sudden thought that came in his mind made him drop the paintings he was holding.

As he stared at the mess, he suddenly had an epiphany. Noel got on his knees on the floor and slapped both of his hands into the puddle of paint.

Noel got up and turned towards the empty canvas with a huge excited smile on his face.

Time skipped by so fast, that only the knock on the door made Noel look away from his canvas. The huge oak door opened and revealed a dark-haired man.

He charmingly smiled at Noel.

"I was wondering why you did not arrived at our meeting place like usual," the man said, his deep voice left an unshakable impression inside Noel, reminding him of someone he once knew.

"Forgive me, my lord," Noel slowly spoke, "I was painting and lost track of time."

"Of course, you got distracted," Bluebeard smiled. He closed the door behind his back and walked towards Noel with a cat like grace.

"Let me see what you painted," he mused and stood next to Noel.

Edward Bluebeard had to admit that Noel was a good painter. Noel had painted a man with brown tanned skin and forest green eyes. The man had a sad expression on his face as he looked into his looker's eyes.

"He is sad," he softly murmured.

Noel followed Bluebeard's eyes and looked at the painting. He had no idea why he decided to paint this man but there was something nostalgic about the man in the painting, that made Noel ache for him.

"He lost his lover," Noel spoke, "He lost the only person he ever loved and he is now heartbroken."

Bluebeard hummed softly at his explanation.

"It seems you gave him a backstory before you painted, Mr. James."

Noel looked at the painting with a soft look and a small smile. Bluebeard's breath hitched as he suddenly became aware of the closeness between Noel and him.

"Just a step away..." He trailed off.

Noel looked at Bluebeard with a questioning look. Bluebeard just smiled and shook his head.

"A poem came in my mind," he lied.

Noel smiled at him and reached for a handkerchief to wipe his hands.

"I was feeling quite frustrated that I couldn't paint anything," he began, "and I accidentally spilled the paint on the floor and I had an epiphany."

"You have made a beautiful painting," Bluebeard praised as he reached for the handkerchief in Noel's hand.

A small sound of protest escaped Noel's lips but he shut his mouth when Bluebeard began to wipe away the paint in Noel's hand with a soft smile on his face.

"I knew you lost yourself in a painting, when you failed to come for the game,' Bluebeard said, his eyes still on Noel's paint stained hands.

" Please forgive me for making you wait," Noel softly said.

Bluebeard finally raised his eyes and gave him a smile.

" You are worth waiting, Mr.James."