Vol. 2: Four

VOL. 2: CHAPTER FOUR
ELIJAH'S POINT OF VIEW

     I must have stood there for ages, a case of beer hanging loosely from my fingertips, my lips parted in pure shock and bewilderment

I must have stood there for ages, a case of beer hanging loosely from my fingertips, my lips parted in pure shock and bewilderment. My stomach began to twist into knots as I watched him climb into the drivers seat of his car, and speed off toward wherever he was headed.

He had looked just as shocked to see me, as I was to see him. His usually head of tame locks was now unruly and tangled. His cheeks had been flushed, and his eyes were wide, seeming absolutely petrified once we were face-to-face. I wanted to say something. If he had been anyone else—I would've said something to greet him.

But for some reason, I just . . . couldn't.

A million questions began to swarm my mind when our eyes had locked. How was he? Was he taking care of himself? How was his mother? His father? How was his trip to Romania? Because yes, I'd seen all of his photos online from months ago. How was college going? Was he struggling with anything? Was he seeing anybody?

Was he seeing anybody? The question caught me completely off guard. I had never wondered if he were seeing anyone before, so why was I all of a sudden so curious?

Once realizing that I was now standing in front of a friend of mines house all by myself, probably looking very awkward and very uncomfortable, I pushed the door open. After I've let myself in, I'm met with familiar faces all around me.

One of which is Aaron, a third year who I had, had a few classes with and got along with pretty well. He wasn't the nicest guy ever, but we enjoyed each other's company. Then, there was James, a fourth year who I been playing baseball with since I first started going to Michigan State.

Until I was inevitably kicked off the team for abruptly leaving school in the middle of my second year.

A head popped out right in front of me, surprising me. I let out a concerning shout, calming myself once realizing who it was. The girl laughs at my expense, her light brown hair being tossed around in midst. "Dude, you are seriously too easy."

"Fuck off," I breathe out, slamming down the case of beer on the coffee table that sat before the large couch. "I didn't even know you'd be here."

Sabine shrugs, reaching down to retrieve one of the bottles. "Yeah, I really didn't want to come but you know how Jeremiah is—the guy can't live without me."

I nod, thinking back to her brown-haired on-and-off again boyfriend, who I had actually spoken a handful of times. And if I were being quite honest with myself, I had never liked him too much. He had always messed around with other people behind Sabine's back—her of course being completely blind to it all.

I had tried countless times the year before to get her to understand that he wasn't a good guy, and he would never allow anyone to tie him down. She refused, and proceeded not to speak to me for the next couple of weeks.