Vol. 2: Nine

VOL. 2: CHAPTER NINE

     The drive back to my dorm had been as ridiculous and dreadful as ever

The drive back to my dorm had been as ridiculous and dreadful as ever. The roads on campus were littered with drunk students who had no idea how to drive, some even intoxicated behind the wheel. How pathetic do you have to be to drive while anything but sober? Putting not only your life in danger, but everyone else's.

     My fingers clenched around the steering wheel just at the thought.

     Turning down the road where my dorm building stood, I found a vacant parking space in the crowded lot, sliding out of the compact car in no hurry.

     Once I'd walked up the stairs and up to my dorm, I pushed open the heavy door after plunging the key in the lock. Jeremy was nowhere to be found, most likely crashing at his girlfriends place for the night. It was where he spent most of his time, anyway.

     With my newfound loneliness, I slumped down into my desk chair, a grunt leaving my parted lips. My eyes flitted over to my textbook that I'd left open before the party. I spent all of last week and this afternoon with my nose in that textbook studying for the midterm.

     With a bitter sigh, I slammed the book shut and slid it to the corner of my desk with the rest of my unopened and unwanted educational features.

     My elbow landed on the wooden surface before me with a sudden thud, my chin resting gently in the palm of my hand. I held my cellphone in my hands firmly, searching through my contacts for a number I've yet to dial.

      After I've pulled it up, I stare down at it in wonder. Would it be appropriate to call Jeremiah after only really hanging out once? Or would a text work best?

     With a boldness I've never really inhabited before, I press the call button, lifting the now buzzing device up to my ear. I hold it there for a few moments, listening as the ringing goes for a while.

     My heart begins to beat against my chest with vigor. What if he didn't pick up? What if me calling caught him off guard, and he turned him off? Or what if he'd found someone else to mess around with at the party—

     "Hello?" Jeremiah's voice isn't shaky or timid at all, no trace of alcohol being laced in his words. "Gage, are you there?"

     Snapping out of my haze of anxiety, I chuckle a nervous laugh, trying to lighten the uncomfortable air. "H-Hey, Jeremiah, I was just uh—I was just checking if your number worked."

     He scoffs lightly on the other end, a slow rustling being heard. "Really?"

     "Yeah, definitely." God, could I make it any more obvious that I'm horny and in some serious need of male attention and validation?

     "So, you aren't calling because seeing me tonight reminded you of the fact that we slept together and you want to do it again?" His voice is so stoic, so calm and not at all wavering. I'm at a loss for words.