Vol. 2: Twelve

VOL. 2: CHAPTER TWELVE

I finally finished that damn midterm

I finally finished that damn midterm. Now, I was sitting in the refreshing air that circulated my car, not bothering to turn on the radio or check my cellphone—I simply sat in silence.

Until . . .

Of course, the peace and serenity is disturbed. My cellphone twinges a faintly familiar sound. I frown, tapping the screen to see who was bothering to send an email. I'd almost ignored it, but wondered if it were an emergency regarding my grades or my schedule during the day.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was invitation to a wedding. The bride and groom being a soon-to-be Mr. and Mrs. Richard Kensington.

A grin slipped itself onto my lips while I read the invitation closely and quietly. Then, I paused.

My invitation came with a plus one. Any other time I'd have skimmed right past that detail without a worry. Because usually, I wasn't sleeping with a guy I hardly knew, while still hopelessly thinking about the guy I had a crush on in high school.

The email before me read small and intimate, which caused my smile to widen even more. Because that seemed to be the epitome of Kim (Richard's fiancée), a laid-back twenty-something year old who was hitting the jackpot marrying a multi-millionaire.

But she still never boasted about it.

I stopped again when skipping over the second elegantly written paragraph, which held the details of where and when the wedding and reception would take place.

The date read, December 15th - 17th with an address located on the coastal side of New York. I typed the address into google, eyebrows furrowing when I didn't recognize the small yet charming cottage-esque structure.

In one photo, I could make out a blooming garden with a lake right beside it, leading up to large double doors. The next photo must have been taken during winter, because the lake is now frozen, the faint shadow of a kid ice-skating in the corner and the snow falling onto the leafs of trees all I can see.

I exit out of my google search, finding my way back to the email and clicking once and for all—RSVP for one.

The action sends a slight pain through my chest. The idea of going to a wedding in such a beautiful and remote location all by myself would be as depressing as it seemed but I'd have to deal with it. Because this would Kim and Richard's day to celebrate their happily ever after.

And I could only hope that mine would come soon enough.

After hitting the blue send button, I shove my cellphone back into my backpack, deliberately ignoring all of the texts from Elijah that ask why I hadn't called to let him know when I got home last night.

Because did he seriously think I was being serious about that? What is he, my father?

I'd been avoiding having a certain conversation with Elijah about how I couldn't do this sort of thing with him anymore. I'd told him once at my 17th birthday party and then watched as he kept his distance for two years—but apparently it wasn't enough for either of us to get it through our heads.