Vol. 2: Eight

VOL. 2: CHAPTER EIGHT

     The get-together, as Elijah kept calling it, was much busier and much more crowded than I thought it would be

The get-together, as Elijah kept calling it, was much busier and much more crowded than I thought it would be. I hold my red plastic cup of water in close to my chest, careful not to bump into anyone walking passed me.

     After I parked my car in a relatively close slot to where the party would be held, I had found Elijah rather quickly, the two of us pushing our way into the crowded shack-like house. But now—Elijah was nowhere to be seen and I was sitting all alone on the side of the home.

     Out of the closest window to me, I could clearly make out the bonfire that I kept hearing about, and little by little, the house was beginning to empty. Most people abandoning the boring inside of the home to go watch the lively fire burning on the empty road ahead.

     I leaned my head against the solid stone wall behind me, adjusting my bottom that was placed on the bench. Desperately searching the crowd for anyone I knew, my smile widened when I finally found a familiar face.

     Jeremiah turned to me, those full lips widening with warmth. My cheeks flushed once the memories of our night spent together resurfaced.

     He jogged over toward me and away from the small group of friends he'd been entertaining, the same old cup I held in my hands, also held in his. His full head of dark hair flopped whenever he took another step, my stomach beginning to turn.

     When he took the spot beside me, I turned to him, a cheeky smile taking part. "I had no idea you'd be here."

     He chuckles, a bright set of teeth seeming glisten throughout the dark backside of the home. "I didn't expect to see you here, either," he spoke truthfully, pale brown eyes finding mine and pinning them without shame. "Not that I'm complaining."

     "Yeah, it's uh . . . It's nice to see you again after we," my words trail off while I pull on my bottom lip with my teeth, deeply impaling the skin. Jeremiah's eyes stray from mine then and venture down to the now punctured skin. His jaw tightens in what looks like remembrance. "Well, you know."

     He gives a solid nod, "yeah, I know."

I try and repress the memories of when he and I spent the night together, but they come spiraling back with force. "So, what are you doing here? I mean, I didn't really expect to run into you."

"My, uh—one of my friends lives in the house with a few of our other friends, so she invited me." His words come out a little shaky and a little unfamiliar. Like he isn't even sure of what he's saying.

I blame it on whatever alcohol he's probably consumed tonight.

"Oh," I begin, a shy smile breaking onto my face, "I didn't know we had so many mutual friends. I actually came with my close friend, E—"