4.2 - Truly Alone

⚠️TW!! EXTREME BLOOD AND GORE!! Mentions of weapons!!⚠️

Lucinda's POV:
It was quiet.

Too quiet.

20 minutes have passed, and Doggy was nowhere to be found. The only sounds I heard were my heavy breathes and my footsteps on the gravel path below me. I remembered that Luciana said that she was watching over me, but it certainly didn't feel like it. Her words inspired me, but they also concerned me. She said that if things weren't bad, then they were going to get way worse. I also couldn't get my mind off of Memory's words.

One told me that I had to keep going foward, while the other said that it was up to me to make the decision. Both seemed tempting. I rubbed the back of my head before continuing my search for Doggy. "He wouldn't have abandoned me...would he?" I asked myself, "Not after the promise he made to my father." I didn't know him like Rose did, but I knew that Doggy would never betray his boss like that. Not only were they colleagues, but they were friends.

My throat was starting to hurt from calling out for Doggy. However, some things that I did find made me groan. Multicolored locks and keys were scattered across the forest. "Who even has the time, energy, or will to set these up?!" I said to myself, annoyed. I shook my head and continued searching. Throughout my search, I felt like I was being watched. Followed, even. However, everytime I turned around, no one was there.

Something was telling me that I shouldn't let my guard down.

My mind went back to the sound of swallowing and glass breaking. I remembered that I found an empty glass bottle on the bench by the campfire. I also took note of a few droplets of glowing green liquid on the bench next to the bottle. I continued walking, but then I felt a shiver go down my spine. Someone was behind me, and they weren't friendly. I kept a hand on my gun as I slowly turned around.

An infected Sheepy stood behind me.

At that moment, I felt like I forgot to breath. My heart was practically in my throat as my legs trembled violently. Sheepy looked worse than the last time I saw her. She tightened her grip on her sledgehammer and charged towards me. I gasped before turning around and running away from Sheepy. I could feel the slight pain in my ankle, but I had to ignore it. Luckily, it wasn't as bad as it was back then. However, it still hurt regardless.

I bit my lip at the thought of getting hit by a sledgehammer. A bat was bad enough. Surely I'd die to a sledgehammer. I shook my head and kept running. I mentally thanked my parents for putting me in cross-country in 6th grade. It really helped me build up my stamina. I ducked behind a corner and held my breath. I could hear Sheepy's footsteps come closer and closer. A few moments later, I sighed in relief as Sheepy went the other direction.

I thought that was all, but I was wrong.

I heard growling from a few feet away. I turned around with my eyes wide. The person I had been looking for was standing before me, his eyes red. He held an axe in this hand. His eyes were red, with one having a red pupil. The other was yellow. Anyone my age would've screamed in fear at the sight I was seeing, but I didn't. I couldn't. I couldn't find my voice. All I could do was stare at the person infront of me, who stared right back.

"Doggy...? What happened to you?"

He didn't answer.

He only charged at me, just like Sheepy. I quickly dodged him before running once more. I could hear my heart pounding in my chest like a drum in a band. I could feel myself sweating hard as I ran as fast as my legs could carry me. Soon, I managed to get away. Unfortunately, I didn't know for how long. I had managed to climb a high enough tree in the forest, and was hidden by the leaves. I was panting heavily as Doggy walked away.