10.1 - Mall

Lucinda's POV:
The wind caressed my face as I ran.

The mysterious person was fast and got out of my sight a few times, but Zizzy and I managed to keep track of them. However, I was getting tired. The last I saw of them was when they ran towards bright lights. I slowed down when I made it out of the alleys, Zizzy following behind me. I stopped for a few seconds to catch my breath before running once more, slower this time. Soon, we reached a building. I gasped at the sight of it from afar.

A few yards away sat a building with walls of gray, blue and red. Street lamps lined the walls and poured their bright lights onto the concrete and pavement below. More rusted cars were in the parking lot of the building. Zizzy and I passed them as we went closer and closer to the building. I took note of the glass door that guarded the inside of the building. I was surprised to see that it wasn't broken, especially at a time like this.

"They ran this way!" Zizzy called out as we reached the building. After what felt like forever, we stopped. This time, I had more time to catch my breath. I looked up at the building before a confused expression formed on my face. Zizzy seemed tired aswell as I stood up properly and took a good look at the building. I took a few more minutes to inspect the area around us. I turned to Zizzy, who seemed just as confused as I was, before speaking.

"A mall?" I asked, "Why would they hide here?" I turned to Zizzy as she let out a heavy sigh and walked towards the glass doors. "I don't know, but we're going in anyway," she replied. I quickly followed her as she opened the door and held it for me. I hesitated for a bit before walking into the mall. I kept facing forward as I heard the glass door close behind me. I was too focused on looking around the area to notice Zizzy walk past me.

"Woah..." I muttered as I looked around the mall. What made it crazy was that it was just from the entrance perspective. I could only imagine what the rest of the mall was like. The walls on the inside were similar to the ones on the outside and were lined by occasional white lights while the floor was covered in light and dark gray tiles. Brown wooden benches were pressed against the walls. Stands of green and orange sat in the middle of the hallway. To the right of the orange stand was a closed door with an orange lock that led to the bank.

"Ten times now," I said in my head, "I've made it to the double digits." To my right was an ATM machine that sat left of the green stand. On the stands right was a doorway that seemed to lead into a store that sold sports equipment. Directly above the store was an open vent hole, which I found odd. Next to it was a glass railing that guarded the second floor of the mall. Thanks to the orange lock, I knew what was about to go down. I would have to find keys and escape yet another infected. However, I was ready for anything that would be thrown my way.

"We're going to find you...whoever you are!"

____________

There were many things I found strange about this mall.

For starters, it was tucked away behind buildings and alleys. Although the lights on the outside were bright, I wasn't sure if them alone would be enough to attract customers. What kind of mall would be hidden away from others? More questions about the mall's position popped up in my head. Then I realized that perhaps being hidden away might've been beneficial during these times. People could come here for food and other supplies. I wondered if that was why the person Zizzy and I were after came here.

Secondly, there weren't that many stores. After looking around the building, I had only taken count of four doorways that didn't lead to storage rooms or something like that. Those doorways led to the sports store, a bank, a kitchen, and an arcade. Two of those doorways were blocked by doors and had locks on them. I was currently going around in search of the keys. Once again, I asked myself who had the time or will to put these locks up.